Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2007 6:44:31 AM EDT
for those with class 3 licenses...what are the most preferred AR's?

-for resale value
-personal preference
-uniqueness

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:28:06 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
for those with class 3 licenses...what are the most preferred AR's?

-for resale value
-personal preference
-uniqueness

An unfired Colt registered receiver M16... and you dont fire it either.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:33:24 AM EDT
[#2]
What's the point in an UNFIRED 3 position lower? You'd probably have an equally good investment if you just bought 30 semi auto lowers and didn't shoot them.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:27:35 PM EDT
[#3]
1) There is no such think as a Class III lisence. All it takes to own an automatic weapon is an approved form 4 and (one time) tax stamp per weapon.

2) Generally speaking, AR15 rifles which function in full auto are called M16s. The exceptions are converted AR15s and very early M16s which were still roll marked AR15.

3) As with AR15s, the most preferred M16s are Colts.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:44:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Actually, there is such a thing as a Class 3 SOT dealer, which is just a dealer of NFA (Title II) firearms.  But yes, you don't need to be a dealer to buy a Title 2 weapon such as a MG or a suppressor.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:59:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Yup, what you are feeling right now is the stunning realization that, with enough cash and a wait of only a month or two, you could be the proud owner of a machinegun.

No license, no ATF inspections, no bullshit.

Now go find out what machineguns cost these days...
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:17:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Actually, there is such a thing as a Class 3 SOT dealer, which is just a dealer of NFA (Title II) firearms.  But yes, you don't need to be a dealer to buy a  Title 2 weapon such as a registered pre-86 MG or a suppressor.

fixed.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:42:32 AM EDT
[#7]
The 416 duh
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:52:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

An unfired Colt registered receiver M16... and you dont fire it either.

There is no way I would own a machinegun and not fire it.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:35:19 PM EDT
[#9]

1) There is no such think as a Class III lisence. All it takes to own an automatic weapon is an approved form 4 and (one time) tax stamp per weapon.

this is not true.  Some states such as mine (MA) requires a Machine Gun license "Resident license to possess a Machine Gun" before you can do ANY ATF F4 paperwork.  The Cheif of Police issues the MG license and then you bring the F4 paperwork with fingerprint cards and he signs for the CLEO as well.

so yes.... there are states that do require a Class III license prior to any F4 paperwork.
not all states are as pro gun as some of you guys live in.  Mine downright SUCKS ASS!!!
But I cant compain, my Cheif did give me a MG license and I got my first MG so I cant say too much.  However, others in my state cant even get MG licenses or regular pistol permits because my state is so anti gun.  I am lucky enough to live in a small town where my Cheif is a cool guy and believes in the 2nd amendment.
 Rob
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:22:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

this is not true.  Some states such as mine (MA) requires a Machine Gun license "Resident license to possess a Machine Gun" before you can do ANY ATF F4 paperwork.  The Cheif of Police issues the MG license and then you bring the F4 paperwork with fingerprint cards and he signs for the CLEO as well.

so yes.... there are states that do require a Class III license prior to any F4 paperwork.
not all states are as pro gun as some of you guys live in.  Mine downright SUCKS ASS!!!
But I cant compain, my Cheif did give me a MG license and I got my first MG so I cant say too much.  However, others in my state cant even get MG licenses or regular pistol permits because my state is so anti gun.  I am lucky enough to live in a small town where my Cheif is a cool guy and believes in the 2nd amendment.
 Rob

Can you just go Trust? That way you never have contact with the Police. That way you would not real be the owner, it belongs to the trust.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:36:32 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rob

Can you just go Trust? That way you never have contact with the Police. That way you would not real be the owner, it belongs to the trust.

He lives in a communist state.  He has to get an actual license to own a MG.  He said it is rare to be able to obtain this ridiculous license.  I had no idea there were states with such a law until Rob came around.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:21:58 PM EDT
[#12]
In NC a MG permit must be obtained from your Sheriff for an MG and the reason must be S/D used on the Form 4.

Be aware that the Sheriffs have all been told not to sign for these firearms by the NC Attorney General.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:29:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
so yes.... there are states that do require a Class III license prior to any F4 paperwork  

I don't doubt it's a license of some sort, but I doubt it's a Class III dealer license that you need--- I'm sure it's called something else.  Basically, a "Class III license" allows you to be dealer of Title II weapons (MGs).  Correct me if I'm wrong.

www.quarterbore.com/nfa/class3.htm

I certainly don't want to put words in Rob's mouth but as long as the guy has been waiting on his Ruger, and as many posts as he has posted on www.ac-556.com I feel like I'm pretty educated on his story.

When he said "class III license" I think he meant "a license to buy title II firearms".   I don't think he actually meant a class III dealer's license.   Wrong verbage I think.  He has jumped through enough hoops he knows the difference but he's so excited about getting his new toy and acting like Hanibal that he was typing too fast !

Go get 'em Rob!   Shot up all your ammo yet?  Better get that Ceiner kit soon!
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:38:00 AM EDT
[#14]
ha ha...

no I have only taken it to the range a few times.  More this weekend though.

you are correct.  It is NOT a class III dealers license.  I never in any way shape or form said you need a dealers license.  Its a machine gun license to possess Machine Guns in the state of MA.  Machine Guns are Class III NFA weapons.  That is what I meant.
However, in MA I will say it once again..... this license is needed in this state before ANY NFA paperwork can be filed or it will be rejected because ATF can not allow anyone to be in any State or federal violation.  To attempt to aquire a MG without a MG license in MA would place the transferee in violation because he does not have the proper license needed to possess Machine Guns.

the actual name of it is,  "Resident License to Possess a Machine Gun"  In MA it is also known as a Green Card because it has a green strip accross the front of it.  It is an incredibly difficult license to aquire.

now if you check the state laws, there are also many states that DO NOT allow anyone to own Machine Guns, SBRs, SBS or AOWs.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top