Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2007 12:27:55 PM EDT
at this time I am awaiting the NFA for the F4 paperwork to be approved from my buddy to my dealer.  Once that is approved I have all my F4 paperwork ready to go (all signed and sealed by CLEO, dealer etc.) for my transfer from my dealer to me.  I have been calling the NFA checking the status on the first transfer and nothing has been approved at this time.  Should be any day now I hope.  Here is my question.

since I have all  F4 paperwork signed and ready to go for the next and final transfer (dealer to me) once I find out from NFA via the phone that it has been approved and is technically registed in my dealers name can I send in my paperwork right then for the next transfer or do I have to wait for my buddy to get paperwork in the mail days sometimes a week later after its been approved and physically bring the gun to the dealer first and then send in the paperwork?

There should be no reason for me to wait until my dealer has possesion of the gun before I send in my F4 paperwork right?  As long as the NFA says the first transfer was approved over the phone I am free to send in my stuff and get the process on the move right?

just checking to be sure because it should be any day now and I want to get my stuff on the move..

thanks,
Rob
Link Posted: 7/28/2007 1:39:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Did your buddy live in the same state as you, if so u could have done the transfer between u 2 (form 4 of course) and not go through the dealer.  I don't think there would be a problem sending in the forms once your dealer gets approved even if he has not gotten the form back, as long as u no the way everything is listed on the form 4, which u should since it was your buddys.  Somebody else can probally chim in on that one.
Link Posted: 7/28/2007 6:33:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/29/2007 5:00:04 AM EDT
[#3]
height=8
Just make sure your F4 is dated after the approval date of the first one.

ok when you say dated after the approval of the the first one do you mean where the dealer dates it or where the CLEO dates it?

reason I am asking is right now EVERYTHING is dated and signed right now on that F4 just waiting to go out except where my dealer signs and dates.  He has not signed or dated it yet because he is waiting for the approval.  The reason I had my CLEO sign it a couple weeks ago (July 20th to be exact) is because he was going on vacation for 3 weeks and if it was approved when he was gone I would have had to wait till he got back to sign it so I had him sign it ahead of time.  He did not care.  Will that be a problem?  Like I said, my dealer has NOT signed or dated it yet.  He is waiting for the approval to him like you said so I am good there.  But is it cool that my CLEO has signed it already?
Link Posted: 8/1/2007 6:33:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Good news,

just called a minute ago (10:00 am) and spoke with NFA.  The transfer from buddy to dealer went pending Monday July 31st.  So its been pending for 2 days.  Hopefully it gets approved quick seeing as its going to a Class 3 / SOT dealer and I can send my F4 off and start the final long one....

We are rolling......
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 2:33:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Transfer to dealer was approved yesterday August 2nd. he
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 3:52:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ya want the technical answer, or the practical one?

The technical answer: The transfer to your dealer is not complete until he takes possession. At any time up to that moment, the approved transfer can be cancelled and the $200 refunded. Since the transfer is not complete until possession has changed, and BATFE will not process a subsequent transfer until the previous one has been completed, you should wait until your dealer has it in hand before sending in your Form 4s.

The practical answer: BATFE has no way of, or really any interest in, monitoring actual transfers of possession. If your dealer wanted to, he could drive to VT. and wait with your buddy at the mailbox, and drive back to MA. with your MG the minute the F4 arrives.

In addition, you must mail the dealer-to-you F4 to Atlanta where the funds are removed from the package and deposited, and then the rest of the package is forwarded to W.Va. -- not an instantaneous process. So by the time an examiner actually first touches your application, it will be at least days, maybe a week or two, after the previous transfer was approved.

Just make sure your F4 is dated after the approval date of the first one.

BTW, you would have had a tough time holding yer water in the '80s and '90s, when simple transfers took six months at best, usually more like eight or nine months, and one-year-plus was not out of the ordinary.

OTOH, MGs were still cheap back then....

Tony,

quick question,

I talked to the NFA office 2 weeks ago, and they said my Form 4 for a can was approved and the paperwork sent to my Class 3 dealer on July 17th.  My dealer says he still hasn't gotten the paperwork??  WTF?  Am I just too anxious, or is it likely it could take 2weeks to reach him after being sent?
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:03:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Well Tony would have the definate answer for sure but I will give you mine based on the Large number of dealings I do on a day to day basis with the Post Office and other shipping depts.

2 weeks is WAY too long for the paperwork to get there.  If it got sent out then 3 to 4 days is normal.  If they DID infact send it out (that is the question... did it get sent out or is it still sitting on an examiners desk) then it should be there by now.  Unless it happend to get lost in the mail.

I would call NFA and tell them your situation and have the examiner just check his or her desk to make sure it did get put in their outbox after they approved it.  If it did get sent out maybe they can send copys to you to get you moving on the process I dont know....
 Most others I see are approved and at the dealers or individuals mailboxes within a week according to the timeline section of this website.

of course I am speaking from my dealings with USPS and not NFA.  My 2 cents...

Tony will be able to answer how long they sit on the examiners desks after approval though.

good luck....
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 9:18:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Hmmmmm...

my buddy still has not recieved the paperwork in the mail to bring my toy to my dealer.  It was approved on Aug 2nd and today is the 13th and still nothing in the mail.

BATF must have a slow mail system or something.  The lady said usually after approval, it goes in the outbox and out in the mail the next business day.

must have got hung up somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 10:11:58 AM EDT
[#9]
The ATF has no business giving out transfer information to a person who is not the transferee or the transferor.

You are in way too much of a hurry.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 10:29:32 AM EDT
[#10]
the ATF gave me NO information at all.  I am going off my buddies information when he called.
 I guess I should have said that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top