Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2006 12:13:35 PM EDT
I have some spare lowers lying around and I want to convert one into an AOW.  I live in RI and having an SBR is not an option as they are banned.  My question is, the eventual configuration would be a pistol style AR with the foward pistol grip (thus considered an AOW).  Since this lower is for a rifle, can i turn it into this pistol type configuration as it now becomes an AOW registered lower with the ATF or do i need to start with a lower transfered as a pistol?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 2:50:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Your AOW idea would only work with either a stripped receiver or an original "pistol" lower.  If the lower has ever had a buttstock, it cannot qualify as an AOW.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:04:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I understood the use of an AOW pistol durring the AW ban when you could not build an AR15 stlye handgun due to 50oz weight limit, but now that the AW is over, I don't understand the AOW vertical grip advantage over not doing any paperwork and just building an AR style pistol.

But yes as long as the receiver was never assembled as a rifle it's good to go for AOW
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:30:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info.  The lower is still stripped and has never had a stock installed on it.  What concerned me is that it was transfered as a rifle not as a stripped lower or pistol, and the final config would be a pistol.  So if i undersand correct from the replys, Once I get the tax stamp in, its no longer considered a rifle and is now an AOW allowing me to build a pistol AR (no stock) with the foward pistol grip provided that a stock was never installed.

I understand why few people dont see the point in a AOW or pistol but RI doesnt allow SBR's so that isnt an option and i already have other "standard" AR's so with my latest builds have been geared towards something practical (waiting for my Kuehl .22 bbl) or in this case something fun that not everybody has.  Though the tax stamp is pricy to be able to install a FPG, I kinda think that it would add the the controlability and fun.

Blame the BRD
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:44:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info.  The lower is still stripped and has never had a stock installed on it.  What concerned me is that it was transfered as a rifle not as a stripped lower or pistol, and the final config would be a pistol.  So if i undersand correct from the replys, Once I get the tax stamp in, its no longer considered a rifle and is now an AOW allowing me to build a pistol AR (no stock) with the foward pistol grip provided that a stock was never installed.

I understand why few people dont see the point in a AOW or pistol but RI doesnt allow SBR's so that isnt an option and i already have other "standard" AR's so with my latest builds have been geared towards something practical (waiting for my Kuehl .22 bbl) or in this case something fun that not everybody has.  Though the tax stamp is pricy to be able to install a FPG, I kinda think that it would add the the controlability and fun.

Blame the BRD

if you know a c2 manufacturer, get him to register it. Then it will transfer to you on a $5 stamp.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top