Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2006 1:05:09 PM EDT
I'm ready to pull the pin and start the process to register my lower for an SBR.  I just need a nutshell run down of what forms are necessary, how I get the forms, and what I need to do when they get here.  

I live in SD and SBRs are legal.  I don't want to go the trust/corp route.  I've tried the search function...I must be dumb because I can't find what I'm looking for.  Please help.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 1:57:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Download the form 1 and form 5330.20 citizenship certification from website www.titleii.com/Forms.htm  Order the ATF marked fingerprint cards from ATF's website or email me an address and I will drop a couple blank cards into the mail for you.  Get a passport style picture taken at an office supply store.  Then it's off to the LE dept. for signature and prints. Then mail the forms pay the $200 with personal check, and wait.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 2:58:55 PM EDT
[#2]
You also need to engrave your name, city and state (or recognized abbreviations thereof) on your frame, receiver, or barrel.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 11:49:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You also need to engrave your name, city and state (or recognized abbreviations thereof) on your frame, receiver, or barrel.

I thought the barrel was a no go? had to be the lower receiver that is serialized correct?
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 12:12:21 PM EDT
[#4]

I thought the barrel was a no go? had to be the lower receiver that is serialized correct?

According to the regulation [27 CFR 479.102(a)(2)] the barrel is acceptable.

www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_06/27cfr479_06.html
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 12:19:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No one is talking about the location of the serial number here. They are talking about name/city/state of the manuf.

Serial number is the only marking required on the receiver.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 8:05:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Do I need to wait for my form 1 to be approved before I order the complete upper and the rest of the parts to finish my sbr?
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 8:17:02 PM EDT
[#7]
YES
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 8:55:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No one is talking about the location of the serial number here. They are talking about name/city/state of the manuf.

Serial number is the only marking required on the receiver.

The original manufactures info is not enough ?
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 10:01:34 PM EDT
[#9]
The original manuf. info is only enough when another person did not re-manufacture it.

So a factory SBR it's enough, a homebuilt or built by another shop it gets new markings.  

Just as imported guns get importation markings.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 9:37:03 AM EDT
[#10]
One last question.  I am getting ready to get the paperwork signed by the CLEO and wanted to know what you would suggest putting in 4I on form 1.  

State why you intend to make firearm.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 9:58:07 AM EDT
[#11]
"Collector; and all other legal sporting purposes"
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 10:01:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks.  My boss didn't want to sign it until it had a reason and I wanted to see what others were doing.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 12:44:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I put "all lawful purposes" on mine.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 2:11:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The original manuf. info is only enough when another person did not re-manufacture it.

So a factory SBR it's enough, a homebuilt or built by another shop it gets new markings.  

Just as imported guns get importation markings.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 2:43:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Is there any special language regarding barrel length?  Thanks.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 3:16:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Caliber .223, barrel length 11.5"

In Aditional Description.  Put

Marked
Billy Bob, anytown, TN
Also to be used in calibers 22lr, 9mm, etc.
Various length barrels under 16"
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 5:34:49 PM EDT
[#17]
once you've registed the lower, is it now dedicated to that upper or can you still use it in other configurations?
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:43:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Doesn't the CLEO have to sign the back of form 1?  I just noticed the CLEO that signed mine signed the front in box 10.  Do you think the ATF will kick it back if he didn't sign the back?

I guess it is time to call NFA and ask.

Talked to the NFA and they said I should the form resigned in the proper location to reduce the risk of the paperwork being returned or rejected.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:00:45 AM EDT
[#19]
The CLEO should have signed in box 13 on your form 1.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 12:45:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The CLEO should have signed in box 13 on your form 1.

yes.  it's not easy to figure out exactly who should sign where at first glance.  me and the cleo had to stand there and re-read the forms over and over a couple of time to figure out exactly what it was calling for.  i would suggest you fill in whatever part you can (like your own name) and then mark the spots with tags to guide them.  that way you avoid the confusion.  my cleo wrote in exactly as i suggested after i made it clear that i was completely familiar with the form...btw, my cleo only saw my form and read thru it for 5 minutes before he signed off.  only took a 15 minute face-to-face meeting.  but i had emailed him earlier that week asking for some time.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 1:38:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Okay, I was looking at the the Form 1 and have some questions:

Line 3.a.  Can I leave this blank?

Line 4.c.  In caliber section, do I put .223 or 5.56?

Line 4.d.  What do I put in the Model section?  I'm going to use an LMT Defender lower.  Is Defender what I put in there?

Line 4.e.  In barrel length, if I intend to go possibly down to 7.5 inches, is that what I put...or do I save that for the additional description section?  I'm really only probably going to go with 10.5 inches, but I want to keep all my options open.

Line 4.f.  In the overall length, what do I put in there?

Line 4.i.  In the purpose section, can I put collector; all legal sporting purposes?

Line 5 and Line 6.  Should I leave these blank if applying as an individual?

Line 10.  Do I leave this blank?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 1:52:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Line 3.a.  Can I leave this blank?

Yes.

Line 4.c.  In caliber section, do I put .223 or 5.56?

Whatever your upper is chambered in (most likely 5.56 NATO).

Line 4.d.  What do I put in the Model section?  I'm going to use an LMT Defender lower.  Is Defender what I put in there?

Sounds right.

Line 4.e.  In barrel length, if I intend to go possibly down to 7.5 inches, is that what I put...or do I save that for the additional description section?  I'm really only probably going to go with 10.5 inches, but I want to keep all my options open.

I would probably put 10.5" here.

Assuming you said 10.5" above, 29".

Line 4.i.  In the purpose section, can I put collector; all legal sporting purposes?

I like to put "all lawful purposes" on mine.

Line 5 and Line 6.  Should I leave these blank if applying as an individual?

Blank or N/A.

Line 10.  Do I leave this blank?

Blank or N/A.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:36:16 PM EDT
[#23]

I would probably put 10.5" here.

Do you put the minimum barrel length you intend to you ever use in Line 4.e?  If I put 10.5 inches, does that mean that I cannot use a 7.5 inch barrel on the lower?  Or if I put all barrel lengths under 16 inches in the other description box will I be okay?  

Assuming you said 10.5" above, 29".

I'm assuming the OAL is with the stock closed.  Does this measurement have to be exact?  For instance, the lower I have has a Magpul CTR stock on it with the butt pad.  I can't say for sure what the OAL is going to be as I don't have the upper.  Also, if I ever want to put a different stock on their which makes shorter (not that I can imagine a something more minimal than a CTR other than the standard stock that came with the lower...what would I need to do?  Can you put down a shorter OAL than it may actually be in order to give yourself some wiggle room?  Is the 29 inch OAL what it would be with the standard stock?  

Sorry for all the questions (dumb questions).  I just don't want to screw this up.  

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:32:46 PM EDT
[#24]

I'm assuming the OAL is with the stock closed.

I came up with the 29" overall length by subtracting 1" from the overall length of the Colt M4 Commando with the stock extended.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:45:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Which fingerprint card?

FBI FD-258FA - FFL Application ORI GAATF0100

or

FBI FD-258LE - NFA, Imports ORI WVATF0100

Probably the second, but I just want to make sure.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:05:06 AM EDT
[#26]
The second one would be appropriate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top