Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2006 10:30:39 AM EDT
This is my first time dealing with mg's. at first i felt wierd just cutting a check to someone and hoping that i get something back. the guy seemed pretty honest, plus i talked to his dealer over the phone also. its only going on 5weeks since he emailed and said he sent the forms in. i have his home addy and home phone#. hes kinda slow getting back through emails so i usally just call his home. im not saying i think he has cheated me yet, i just wonder what if anyhting i could do if he does? he was supposed to send me a reciept and a copy of the form4 but i have not yet gotten it in the mail. with me in OR and him in maryland its kinda hard to just stop by lol. any thoughts?

THanks
DmU
Link Posted: 8/29/2006 10:51:46 AM EDT
[#1]
If you have the serial number, you can call the ATF 304-616-4500 and ask them about the F4 status.  If it's pending, all is good.   Has your $200 check cleared?
Link Posted: 8/29/2006 11:05:04 AM EDT
[#2]

I always buy MGs from private individuals because the price is always better.  All of my transactions have been great.  In general, C3 people are very honest people.  However, such deals are not for those who are faint of heart and do not have patience.  It also helps to have a dealer that is an on the ball kinda guy that works with the private seller to get all the paperwork right so that the seller then only needs to sign the paper work and send it in.  I have asked for a novice seller to give me a C3 dealer reference, which my dealer checked out and I called. Other times, I have just gone ahead and the deal has been fine.  

In any event, the seller's form 3 transfer to your dealer should not be more than another three or four weeks more if not really soon.  The seller probably feels that the paper work will be back soon and he will then be shipping the gun out at which point you do not need a receipt or to see his old form 4.

Link Posted: 8/29/2006 11:15:23 AM EDT
[#3]
it was on a f4 in another state. he said he was gonna pay the first tax. i just called the atf and they they havnt gotten the paperwork to transfer it yet. its been almost 5 weeks.  friday will make 5weeks since it was mailed off. and i just over paraniod?? its just alot of cash for me lol.

thanks for the # jeff but i have it in my phonebook on my cell . ive done few suppressor's already.

just for next time should i send 2 checks?? one for the tax and the rest for the smg?? whats the best way to do this so both are safe?
Link Posted: 8/29/2006 11:28:04 AM EDT
[#4]
The transactions should be a form 4 from the seller to your dealer (first $200 tax stamp) and then a form 4 from your dealer to you (a second $200 tax stamp).  Are you saying that the seller just mailed the paperwork five days ago for the form 4 from him to your dealer after a four week hiatus.  That is not cool.  Any excuse for the hold up?

ETA:  The last couple of form 4 transfers that I have heard of to dealers took less than 5 weeks, if it is any consolation.  Now the form 4 from your dealer to you maybe whole dfferent kettle of fish (8-12 weeks).
Link Posted: 8/29/2006 11:46:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The transactions should be a form 4 from the seller to your dealer (first $200 tax stamp) and then a form 4 from your dealer to you (a second $200 tax stamp).  Are you saying that the seller just mailed the paperwork five days ago for the form 4 from him to your dealer after a four week hiatus.  That is not cool.  Any excuse for the hold up?

ETA:  The last couple of form 4 transfers that I have heard of to dealers took less than 5 weeks, if it is any consolation.  Now the form 4 from your dealer to you maybe whole dfferent kettle of fish (8-12 weeks).

My typo. 5weeks.  he seems like a good enough guy. sez(and talks like lol) hes a cop. maybe im just over worried about it??
Link Posted: 8/30/2006 12:18:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I had a gun take awhile. The 1st form 4 took a long time because the serial number was wrong on the form. That took another 3 weeks to fix. Just be patient and make sure you are in contact with the dealer. Most guys are good to deal with but shit does happen.  My first gun is still with my C3 and its been over a year. good luck.
Link Posted: 8/30/2006 4:23:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a very bad experience buying a mac 2 years ago.  The guy just dropped off the face of the earth and didn't live at the same address as when I did the deal.  All I had was a email address.  I finally got the gun but only a year after it was approved to transfer.  I guess since it was a mac and not as much money I was a little careless and didn't do my homework on the guy.  I had posted on subguns just nobody had heard of the guy.  
 Its hard to believe but some people just don't operate the same way and seem to be on a different wavelink, but if you can't get him to mail you a copy of the form 4 in 8 weeks you may want to call the local police office or similar and see if you can arrange to hire a officer to go OFF duty for a little money and just pay a call to the guy to verify everything is on the up and up.  I think legally from what I learned on my deal if you get stuck you are basically out of luck as your only recourse is in civil court and that may cost more than its worth.  Especially if it is a cheaper gun or the person doesn't have anything to get.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/31/2006 8:26:18 AM EDT
[#8]
You can always go to the subguns.com BOI and check for a reference on the seller.
Link Posted: 8/31/2006 2:34:16 PM EDT
[#9]
height=8
Quoted:
If you have the serial number, you can call the ATF 304- 619 616-4500 and ask them about the F4 status.  If it's pending, all is good.   Has your $200 check cleared?

Heh..you may want to edit this post, replacing 619 with 616. Or some girl is going to be really pissed..( know, I just called her )
Link Posted: 9/25/2006 4:12:48 AM EDT
[#10]
ok today makes 60days to the day when i got an email from him saying that he sent out the F4. called the atf and they said it is not in the system. called and left a message with the guy im buying it off of. at this point is there anything else that i can do?? atf said that it should take no longer than 30days for a F4 to F3 transfer. im kinda worried
Link Posted: 9/25/2006 4:50:56 AM EDT
[#11]
With the rate Form 4's have been getting approved recently (3 weeks), it definately sounds like there is an issue.

When I made my first NFA purchase, I asked to see a copy of the Form 4 first. I then confirmed that the NFA item was "in the system" and to "whom" it was registered. Also confirmed his address, phone number and employment information before sending him the big bucks. Half up front, half after approval.
________________________________________________________________________________

Has his check cleared ? That usually occures within 10 days of the paperwork being sent.

Have you seen his Form 4 ?

Is the item registered "in the system" ?

Hows about having him fill out another form 4 and then, have him send it to your dealer (for completion) instead ? That way you know it gets sent to Chicago. Might be worth having you pay the first tax and then, get reimbursed on the back end of the deal.

Link Posted: 9/25/2006 8:42:49 PM EDT
[#12]
its in the system, talked to the atf and they confirmed it. never saw the form4 he was supposed to send it to me but i only got a reciept from his SOT saying the transfer is paid for. it has the serial# on  it aswell. i really dont know what to do from here...
Link Posted: 9/25/2006 10:06:34 PM EDT
[#13]
The appropriate thing to do is wait, every time the NFA branch is called someone's transfer is not approved that day because they are tied up on the phone.

If it's in the system, then it will approve to your dealer and you get to start your part and wait another 90 days.
Link Posted: 9/26/2006 11:11:32 AM EDT
[#14]
im sorry maybe i didnt make myself clear, its in the system as in He owns it. not that its in transfer at all. its not pending nor is the f4 in the system. sorry
Link Posted: 9/27/2006 4:58:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Didn't realize your seller was out of state. It really shouldn't take six weeks to "go pending", especially when approvals are now being completed in about three weeks.

When you finally get tired of waiting, have his dealer resubmit the Form 4 and request a refund on the original tax payment. Takes about six weeks to get the refund.
Link Posted: 9/27/2006 5:06:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't know if this is applicable to your case but I recently sold a moderately expensive MG to someone in another state. Two weeks after I mailed off the F4 to transfer to his dealer (along with two F4s for transfers to me) I started checking with the ATF. Nothing was in the system. After a month I contacted the buyer asked him if his check had been cashed;l mine hadn't, neither had his.

Two weeks later I get a plastic envelope from the USPS which has the "We are sorry we destroyed your mail." note attached.  It contained the remnants of the F4s and the buyer's check (mine was no where to be found).  The next day I Express Mailed his F4 in and had the transfer approval back in 3 weeks.

Link Posted: 9/30/2006 7:57:26 PM EDT
[#17]
i called my guy and he agreed that it was way too long, his dealer confired that the check was cashed. the atf is looking itno into it, and gonna call his SOT back...i hope this gets resolved soon...thanks for the input from everyone
Link Posted: 10/1/2006 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The appropriate thing to do is wait, every time the NFA branch is called someone's transfer is not approved that day because they are tied up on the phone.

If it's in the system, then it will approve to your dealer and you get to start your part and wait another 90 days.

That is an old wives tale.  NFA-Dan (aka Daniel Pickney NFA Examiner) wrote a long explanation (it is a sticky here that is a repost from Subguns) basically saying as long as you call the main number you will talk to one of their 3 customer service reps whose sole job is to answer the phone and do status checks.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 12:25:16 PM EDT
[#19]
just wanted to post an update, finally figured where the porblem was(big thanks to NFA-Dan). my guys SOT was sitting on the papers for 60+days before he really sent them in. dont really know why he said he sent them and sat on them, but i really dont care aslong as i get my m11. Next time when i go for my 2nd smg im gonna write the check out to the stf myself that way i can watch it alil closer. thanks for everyones advise.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 4:19:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
just wanted to post an update, finally figured where the porblem was(big thanks to NFA-Dan). my guys SOT was sitting on the papers for 60+days before he really sent them in. dont really know why he said he sent them and sat on them, but i really dont care aslong as i get my m11. Next time when i go for my 2nd smg im gonna write the check out to the stf myself that way i can watch it alil closer. thanks for everyones advise.
Nothin worse then a dealer not doing his job.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 5:11:48 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I'm pretty sure NFA-DAN said they have separte people who answer phones and examiners who work on Form1/4's.

Thus making it impossible to slow down their work.

He said you can call all you want, but it won't speed up anything/slow anything down.

This whole "don't call the ATF " rumor need to be killed ASAP.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:44:38 PM EDT
[#22]
just got approved to my dealer ill post pics when i get it( next month i hope)
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:55:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Hey, doing my part to make the world a happy place...!!!    Is *your* paperwork in the mail now?

Just an FYI, this ALMOST became a bigger mess then it has been.  Long story.  Fortunately it worked out for you.  Some others in a similar situation to you, were not so lucky.

Dan Pinckney.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:21:02 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey, doing my part to make the world a happy place...!!!    Is *your* paperwork in the mail now?

Just an FYI, this ALMOST became a bigger mess then it has been.  Long story.  Fortunately it worked out for you.  Some others in a similar situation to you, were not so lucky.

Dan Pinckney.

Yea its in the mail you should be seeing my ugly mug real soon I heard what he did, and i feel for the others. Dan i gotta say it again Thank You for all your help. If you need anything(money,my wife, anything) let me know.
Thanks again Dan

DmU
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:57:05 PM EDT
[#25]
If you buy enough MGs, you will have some issues.

I don't mind the long times, but you should have seen one M11a1 9mm that I received in the mail!

I received my money back & an email calling me a liar about the condition the SMG was in!

Oh yeah, the only safe and proper use for the SMG in that condition:

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:58:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Jesus, did you buy that thing wihtout pictures!?!?
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:13:17 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Jesus, did you buy that thing wihtout pictures!?!?

This was the picture.  The seller adamantly promised that the frame wasn't bent & that it was in shootable condition.

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:46:52 PM EDT
[#28]
if you dont mind, how much did you pay for it?
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 8:43:52 PM EDT
[#29]
$2k plus s7h.

I ended up only being out the S&H.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top