Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2006 2:54:27 PM EDT
I have some questions about the real figures for the cyclic ROF from the Sten MKII and the Thompson M1A1.  In the case of the Sten, some sources suggest it fires at 650 RPM, while others (most notably the small arms museum at Aberdeen) suggest 450 rounds per minute.  With the Thompson, most sources say it fires at 700 RPM, while Aberdeen again says 450 RPM.  I'm curious as to what the real figures are and why there is such a disagreement amongst sources.  Does anybody know which sources I should pay attention to ?  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:13:11 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have some questions about the real figures for the cyclic ROF from the Sten MKII and the Thompson M1A1.  In the case of the Sten, some sources suggest it fires at 650 RPM, while others (most notably the small arms museum at Aberdeen) suggest 450 rounds per minute.  With the Thompson, most sources say it fires at 700 RPM, while Aberdeen again says 450 RPM.  I'm curious as to what the real figures are and why there is such a disagreement amongst sources.  Does anybody know which sources I should pay attention to ?  

Try "Janes" book on guns, the Sten fires 500-550, same with the M1A1 thompson, the thompson could fire faster about 50 rounds. 450 can be a reasonable RPM, both of mine shoot about that rate, the thompson seems to be slightly faster. The 1921/28 overstamp shoots in the 600/700 range. This conversion for the navy usually comes up with this number and they tried to adapt the same rate of fire for the M1 and M1A1.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top