Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2006 5:15:46 PM EDT
I have been thinking of becoming an FFL for awhile and would like some feedback.  I'm a fireman, so working 24 hr shifts gives me 20 days off a month, which is why many firemen have some sort of side job.  I am an avid hunter and collector and think it might be wise to become "official" and save me some money and make a little on the side.  I am also interested in a little class III stuff since I live in the free state of Nevada.  I could also get into products for fire/rescue type gear (i.e. flashlights, web gear, etc)    Here's my ?

Would it be worth the trouble to get licensed as an FFL and go on to become a class III dealer?

Just how much headache is it?  i.e. paperwork, filings, taxes

How long would it take?

Any advice?

Thanks for your time.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:21:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:22:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have been thinking of becoming an FFL for awhile and would like some feedback.  I'm a fireman, so working 24 hr shifts gives me 20 days off a month, which is why many firemen have some sort of side job.  I am an avid hunter and collector and think it might be wise to become "official" and save me some money and make a little on the side.  I am also interested in a little class III stuff since I live in the free state of Nevada.  I could also get into products for fire/rescue type gear (i.e. flashlights, web gear, etc)    Here's my ?

Would it be worth the trouble to get licensed as an FFL and go on to become a class III dealer?

Just how much headache is it?  i.e. paperwork, filings, taxes

How long would it take?

Any advice?

Thanks for your time.

I work for an airline so I also have alot of time off. I thought the same thing you did about 3 years ago and got my FFL. All I can say is that I can't wait for it to expire. The margins on guns is very small when you look at places like Sportsmans Wherehouse. If you choose to deal from home you have to do the transfers there, and open your home to those you choose to sell to. If you try internet sales the profit margins are non-existant
    As far as the class 3 stuff, unless you have a close relationship with the higher ups in a police dept., your almost out of luck. Transfers on pre 86 stuff will be the same price regardless of the FFL. SOT.
   If you have any more questions, feel free to shoot me an IM as I'm a fellow Nevadan.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:05:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:17:07 AM EDT
[#4]
You'll find the streets are not paved with gold if you are an FFL.  But if you want to do it anyway, it's worthwhile as long as you are legitimate in how you approach it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top