Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2005 5:01:06 PM EDT
What is a sear gun vs a regular full auto that was made before 86? I hear stuff like "this would be a great sear gun" when talking about semi-auto's,  I know most of the details of the MG ban, can't make any new mg's after 86 for civvies, only for law enforcement etc but what are the details of sear guns? Are they semi auto's that were made auto by adding the sear before 86?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:02:20 PM EDT
[#1]
For the most part the sears were registered as the machine gun itself. There are other parts that were made and registered as machineguns also. The lightning link or sometimes called the auto connector is a drop in part for a semi auto AR15 that legally makes it a machine gun. When you add the semiauto gun to the sear you have a nice legal fully functional machinegun.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:24:06 AM EDT
[#2]
There are basically three types of transferable sears that can be used in various semi auto guns.

The RDIAS, used in AR15 lowers.

The HK sear, used in the semi auto roller locked HK's.

And the FNC sear, used in the FN-FNC.

The "this would be a great sear gun" statement is usually reserved for HK's, but could also be the different AR15 lowers that will accept a RDIAS.

The FNC sear is unto itself as it can only be used in an FNC lower.

I left out the RLL (registered lightning link) because it's technically not a "sear", as it doesn't physically hold the trigger as the others do, but it too can be used in various AR15 lowers.

HTH
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:49:37 AM EDT
[#3]
So these are basically devices that were registered as a MG before 86 that I can drop in a semi auto and make it full?

Are sears as crazy expensive as buying an already registered full auto receiver?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:52:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So these are basically devices that were registered as a MG before 86 that I can drop in a semi auto and make it full?

Are sears as crazy expensive as buying an already registered full auto receiver?

YES
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:51:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

RDIAS @ $10-10.7K (drop in)

HK Sear @ $10-10.5K (+ approx $600 for installation in a trigger pack, if not bought that way)

FNC @ $3800-4K (+ approx $600 for installation in your gun)

RLL @ $7500+,- (drop in)
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:46:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a sear gun question also and this looks like as good of a place as any to ask .

If you use a registered sear to make a sear gun do you have to follow the rest of the laws with host weapon?

As an example ..... You use a RDIAS in an AR . Do you have to keep a 16" barrel length to stay legal?

Or can you put what ever you want on it as long as the registered sear is in the weapon?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:48:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:46:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Before 1986 there were two kinds of machine gun conversions.

Registered receiver and registered sear.

A registered receiver conversion means the reciever itself became the machine gun and it could use ordinary machine gun internals.

A registered receiver conversion means the sear itself became the machine gun and any gun it was installed in became a registered machine gun.

A registered sear can be used in virtually ANY host semi auto making it a legal machine gun.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:23:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Before 1986 there were two kinds of machine gun conversions.

Registered receiver and registered sear.

A registered receiver conversion means the reciever itself became the machine gun and it could use ordinary machine gun internals.

A registered receiver conversion means the sear itself became the machine gun and any gun it was installed in became a registered machine gun.

A registered sear can be used in virtually ANY host semi auto making it a legal machine gun.

this is what I thought but want to clarify- so you/I could pick up a registered sear, and drop it in any new manufacture AR and be legal, yes?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:53:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I dont know about the RDIAS but a RLL will not fit in just any reciever on an AR. Some models with some manufacturers do not mill out the area needed for the part to drop in since it was never intended to be a full auto reciever. I think this is the case with the RDIAS also but I'm willing to be schooled on that.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:34:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:02:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top