Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/13/2018 7:59:34 PM EDT
Stopped at the LGS today and they had a Traditions P53 3 band Enfield for sale.  New gun.  Price was not bad-about $900 OTD.  I did not get a chance to look over it to closely.

Turns out it was made by Armisport?  Anyone have one?  Is the breach plug threaded?  Opinions?

I have read of at least one Enfield clone that had a press in breach plug that let go but I cannot remember the maker and cannot find the thread now.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 2:59:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Stopped at the LGS today and they had a Traditions P53 3 band Enfield for sale.  New gun.  Price was not bad-about $900 OTD.  I did not get a chance to look over it to closely.

Turns out it was made by Armisport?  Anyone have one?  Is the breach plug threaded?  Opinions?

I have read of at least one Enfield clone that had a press in breach plug that let go but I cannot remember the maker and cannot find the thread now.

Thanks!
View Quote
Can't answer your questions but I'm digging the P53s.  This one is a .65 smoothbore (P58?) with a few others.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:39:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh man!  Nice collection!

IIRC the smooth bore P53..P58?'s were made for the Indian Sepoys.  Can't have the local troops as well armed as the Queen's troops.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 2:11:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine is an Armisport, but I don't think it was sold as a Traditions gun. I've not heard of Armisports  having breech plug problems. Might have been an early Antonio Zoli, some of those did have breech plug issues

It should be defarbed if you want to use it for reenacting. I haven't defarbed mine, but I'm  not a reenactor so I won't bother.

Link Posted: 11/19/2018 10:04:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Smashy, thanks for checking in.  It is a Chaippia? Traditions rifle.

I have no plans to reenact but I would like to try out n-ssa or acwsa.  There are quite a few competitions around me.

Have you shot yours much?  Any issues with it?
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:28:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Couple more P58 Indian Short Rifles (2 band), P56 Calvary Carbine, Snider Mk III and a Arab/Afghan rifle using a 1800 Baker flintlock lock converted to percussion.

Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 7:24:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have no plans to reenact but I would like to try out n-ssa or acwsa.  There are quite a few competitions around me.
View Quote
For Skirmish use, I'd be looking at a Pedersoli.  Or go over to the N-SSA bulletin board and pick up a match-tuned gun secondhand.  N-SSA members tend to take good care of their firearms.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 12:17:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Czech soldiers brought these in to me to look at here in Afghanistan. Two P53s with adjustable sights and rifle barrels. Two P53s with fixed sights and rifled. One is marked on the trigger guard with a unit marking of "1C21? Last letter either P,F or R.

Two Snider Mk IIIs Rifle with barrel date of 1869 and lock dated BSA& M Co. 186? There is a 2PI, 133 on the brass butt plate designating Unit/Rifle #. Carbine barrel dated 1871, Enfield dated lock of 186?. Both still have bluing under stocks.  Both also have replacement stocks however. All guns .577 in diameter.

CD
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 1:03:29 PM EDT
[#8]
The best repros are the Parker Hale versions IF you can find one
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 4:19:20 PM EDT
[#9]
On my I'll get around to it eventually list is a new Pedersoli 1853 three band or 1858 two band
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top