Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2018 11:07:17 AM EDT
I'm very semper sadface at the moment.

My 1861 Springfield (rep) won't ignite.  Flash hole is clear, I just did a deep clean with a pan of warm water and a couple drops of soap, using a patch to "pump" it through.  Circulates perfectly.  (followed up by drying EVERYTHING with patches in the bore and compressed air thru the flash hole, then a patch with WD40 to displace any possible remaining moisture followed up by more dry patches till they came out spotless)

Put a bit of powder in, primed it, pushed a patch down on top of the powder, and nothin.  Cap went off fine (all I have are the 4-tab ones "for reenactment") but at this point I'm convinced the caps just don't have the fire going all the way to the powder.  It did have enough energy to blow a bit of powder out the second time i tried it without a patch, but no ignition.

So do I have shit caps, or shit powder?  

Powder does ignite fine when I pour a tiny bit out and hold a lighter up to it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 11:34:49 AM EDT
[#1]
You are experiencing a PHENOMENON !

What is happening is the " column" or dead air in front of the cap produced blows the powder down the barrel and doesnt light .

Put a little powder in then push a small patch in on top ....... !
BOOM

If you were using a flintlock you would not have that issue at all , because there is no pressure between the flash in the pan and the powder in the chamber .
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 11:47:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You are experiencing a PHENOMENON !

What is happening is the " column" or dead air in front of the cap produced blows the powder down the barrel and doesnt light .

Put a little powder in then push a small patch in on top ....... !
BOOM

If you were using a flintlock you would not have that issue at all , because there is no pressure between the flash in the pan and the powder in the chamber .
View Quote
This all started at the range with powder not igniting (through 6 primers) with a bullet pushing on it (a fact I mistakenly omitted from the OP and that's 100% on me, so you have my apologies there) and replicated just about an hour ago with a patch on top of the powder (which I did type, but probably easy to miss as it's in the middle of a lengthy post).

As we attempt to resolve this (and again I *DO* genuinely appreciate trying to solve it with the easiest issue) here's a photo of the beloved rifle in question.  

Link Posted: 10/28/2018 11:51:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you using real blackpowder or BP substitute?
Substitute can be finicky to ignite with weak caps.

possible issues.
1.) Your powder is compromised with a bit of moisture. It isn’t ruined. Just takes a bit more to set off.
2.) Your caps are weak. New made caps are cr@p. Try another brand. I like the RWS.
3.) Ensure the flash channel is completely clear.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 11:57:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 11:58:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Is the chamber dry ?

Always pop two or three caps to burn out any oil or water before loading the powder and ball .

If you are doing that and the vent is clear the powder is good and the caps go off ..... I don't know  !

Is this a new issue ? Have you shot the gun before ?
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 12:21:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies all.  To answer some stuff all in one post:

Chamber is bone dry.  Using Goex FFg powder.  Sadly all that was locally available (without paying ridiculous hazmat fees) was the CCI's, and yes I'm aware they're known crap.  I've used a lot of them (probably 75 shots or so) with only one fail to fire, although I'm well aware others have had more issues.

I do have a fresh unopened canister of Goex.  I'll take that to the range and see if it helps.  Heading in about 20 minutes or so, should be there by 2.  I'll report back when I know more.

Thanks again for all the replies!!

ETA:  I do intend on grabbing up some RWS caps next chance I get, but nobody around here stocks em so road trip I'll have to make.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 1:03:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Place a few powder granules in the nipple before you put the cap on the nipple.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:55:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Update:  fresh powder provided much merriment at the range.  Especially when I hit the 200-yard steel right off the bat....nobody expected it, and everyone laughed.  

Thanks again all, just slightly moist powder is all.  Good to go, appreciate all the feedback!  
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 12:44:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Update:  fresh powder provided much merriment at the range.  Especially when I hit the 200-yard steel right off the bat....nobody expected it, and everyone laughed.  

Thanks again all, just slightly moist powder is all.  Good to go, appreciate all the feedback!  
View Quote
Remember You can always dry black powder
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 11:00:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Set it near the campfire?  
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 4:05:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ACK! No!
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:55:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

ACK! No!
View Quote
I’d use a food dehydrator
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 1:12:19 PM EDT
[#13]
No worries guys I was just horsin around with the campfire comment.  

The container the damp powder was in doesn't have a whole lot inside it (less than 1k grains, so maybe 10 shots or so?) so I may just let it go.

Or try it from the 209-based Omega I also have....maybe it'll work in there for range duty, who knows.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 4:54:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Since there is already a thread on the 61 Springfield, I have a question. I just traded into a Armi Sport for reenacting, but I also got handed a bunch of minie balls for it. I forgot to ask the guy how he loads, but I'll ask here. How much and what type of powder would you recommend. I have been reloading BP cartridges in 45 Colt for about a year, but that is Pyrodex and pistol (I hate pyrodex, but I have so much it would be stupid to not use it).

I appreciate any help and insight.

Potato pic in the office:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:03:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Start with 60 grs 2f or 3f , grease the the groves of the Mini Ball . Pointy end up ,ram it home cap and fire .
Be sure to pop 2-3 caps to clear the vent .

Good Luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top