Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2018 9:34:33 AM EDT
Not long ago I bought a TC 54 Cal muzzleloader.  It is a side lock with no 11 ignition.  It has an octigon barrel and a set trigger.  It is stamped Thompson center and 54 Cal but that's it.  It's been used but a clean rifle.  Minor blueing wear near the muzzle and a few minor marks in the stock.  I gave $100 for it.  My question is what all models did TC offer in 54 CAL.  I Originally thought it was a Renegade but it doesn't actually say that.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 12:41:14 PM EDT
[#1]
After posting I realize the hawken has the brass patch holder on the stock.  Mine does not.  It looks just like a renegade but does not give a specific name on the barrel
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 8:22:57 PM EDT
[#2]
You may have a rifle with an aftermarket barrel, unless it's rollmarked with all the standard T/C script.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 8:46:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Its stamped Thompson center
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 9:24:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I Originally thought it was a Renegade but it doesn't actually say that.
View Quote
Early Renegades didn't have 'Renegade' stamped on the barrel, later ones did.

Here's my .54 Renegade.

Link Posted: 10/8/2018 9:31:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Pre warning renegade is my guess

You stole it
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 9:55:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I would also guess that it is a pre warning Renegade.  The basic differences between the Hawken and Renegade are the Hawken has brass furniture, a nose cap, and the barrel is usually 28".  The Renegade is usually iron or blued furniture, no nose cap, and usually a 26" barrel.

And like Stiles said, you stole it!
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 4:03:41 AM EDT
[#7]
It's not just the furniture. It's also a completely different stock.

My Hawken.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 12:19:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Probably a Renegade.  I have one I built from a kit in .54.  Removed the bluing from everything and browned all the metal.

Damned fine rifle and will whack a deer even with that big round ball.  .54 bullets are getting sort of scarce but it's a beast even with 90 gr. powder loads.

I like the Renegade much more than the Hawken.  The browned metal, shotgun style buttplate and simpler lines are really nice.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 8:58:58 PM EDT
[#9]
This is timely. I just was given one of these. It appears to be the same as the OP's
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:09:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's not just the furniture. It's also a completely different stock.

My Hawken.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/291771/tchawken5-700245.JPG
View Quote
Also, the 26" Renegade has a 1" barrel. 28" long by 15/16" on the T/C Hawken.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top