Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2018 4:12:07 PM EDT
So around the 100 round mark through my Uberti 1860, the rod catch fell off.  It slides off the barrel to the side, but has no apparent damage.  I don’t understand how the dovetail was originally ever tight enough to stay on.   When the rod is latched it seems to stay put, but as soon as I use the rod it slides off very easily.

Anyone have this issue, and have a fix?
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 10:52:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Double Tap
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 9:29:58 PM EDT
[#2]
You can reinsert the catch and peen or steak it on the inside part under the rod so the mark won't show.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 12:54:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Although most gunsmiths would call this a "temporary" fix, I've had good luck with using JB Weld (epoxy) for this kind of application.

If/when you need to remove the catch another time, you can easily tap it off with a punch and brass hammer.

I wouldn't go into battle with it, but I'd hunt and target shoot with it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 9:04:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Peen the wedge a bit to make it fit tightly into the dovetail.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 4:21:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies guys.  I forgot that I had jb-weld, so as soon as you said that blindeye, I knew that would be how I’d go forward.  I did it a few days ago, so we’ll see how it lasts.

Once I looked closely I could see how it was slightly staked from the factory.  Barely visible, which was nice, which is why I didn’t want to stake/peen the metal over.  Even though it’d be covered by the rod, I would know that it looks like shit underneath, so that is my last resort option.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top