Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2018 7:30:53 PM EDT
At the gun show today, I picked up a second Parker Hale rifle.  The metal work is in very nice shape while the stock shows quite a bit of finish wear, likely from being carried a lot.  I bought it from a man who said he received it as a Christmas present in the 1960's.

The front sight has been replaced with a taller blade and there used to be a "tang" sight installed in the wood behind the actual tang.

Does anyone know if that was a common thing to do for target shooting?  The new front sight is so tall it probably cannot be useful with the main low setting on the rear sight (would shoot really low.  Any idea what kind of rear sight might have been used?

And it came with some nice accessories, which really sealed the deal for me.  Included is a Parker-Hale bullet mold, Lyman Minie bullet mold with handles, a flask and quite a few cast bullets, including 65 of the Parker-Hale bullets, 35 of a target-style Minie and 10 commercial Minies.

The Parker-Hale mold and bullets

Any thoughts or comments?  Suggestions regarding the sights?

Rob
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 9:28:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Hang on to that P-H mold with both hands. They cast the most accurate bullet you can use in a .58/.577 musket.

As for the rifle they are GTG. I hunted with a P-H Musketoon for years.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 3:13:46 PM EDT
[#2]
out of curiosity how much did you give for it?  I would love to find one of these. nice smoke pole
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 11:08:50 AM EDT
[#3]
The tang sight was a Vernier style sight.

You can find those for sale all over the place. Standard grade model should set you back $150-200 dollars US.

Great purchase. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top