Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2018 10:27:29 AM EDT
From now on, this turkey will be referred to as the “nothing” bird...

I got to my blind extra early this morning, got the decoys set, and got settled in to the sound of that same Whippoorwill that entertains this hills.

The early morning light finally started to brighten the pasture I was watching, but guess what I heard?

Nothing.

Finally, several minutes after shooting time, I heard a bird gobble, almost to the edge of my hearing.  Then 2 more chimed in, but all of them were spread far apart, and the last 2 I was sure were on other farms.

I scratched on my VECtor aluminum pot call, but you guessed it....

Nothing.

After about 30 minutes, I thought it sounded like the middle bird had come to a pond in the valley below me to the north.  He had gobbled about every 6 seconds, since he flew down, but when I’d call...

Nothing.

After a bit longer, I tried that aluminum call again, and immediately followed it with some sweet yelps from my VECtor slate call, and yea...

Nothing.

But, much to my surprise, when he did gobble again, he was closer!!!
So, I played his game, I gave him...

Nothing.

That bird just kept gobbling at my nothing, and kept coming up the trail to my corner of the pasture.  Finally he gobbled again, and I could hear him drumming.  I peeked to the trail and there he was in full strut.

He gobbled several more times while putting on a show for the feeder and breeder hen decoys.  He finally got to the breeder, and I figured it was time to get my Flintlock Trade Gun up on the shooting stick.

I got the gun up and ready, got myself ready while the Tom was on top of my decoy, doing what Tom Turkeys like to do, so I figured I’d cock my hammer too!!  I let him stretch his head up a little then squeezed the trigger....

Yup, nothing.

No spark, no flash in the pan, no big boom, just,

Nothing!!!!

So, at this point, as rattled as I was, and as busy as the turkey still was, I wiped off the frizzen face and the flint, got back on the gun to try again!!

This time, it went klatchBANG!
And the shaking is still going!!!!

My 20 ga Trade Gun shoots 70 gr by volume of 2F real black powder under 80 gr BY VOLUME of #5 lead.
The shot was at 8 steps.
The bird was 21#13oz with 1” spurs and a 10 3/8” beard.

https://imgur.com/gallery/0NmgZlj
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 11:14:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Very nice day! Nice pics! Now go drink and celebrate!
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 1:19:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very nice day! Nice pics! Now go drink and celebrate!
View Quote
Drink, celebrate and do nothing!!!
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 10:13:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Great story Brad & photographs!

I have seen first hand (X ray vision) the hearing capabilities of birds.  I scanned the horizon for birds one day several years ago with 8X binoculars and saw nothing.  Gave a couple of "toots" on my old World Famous Herter's Crow Call and about 15 minutes later I saw a black dot on the horizon.  I gave another "toot" on the old Herter's Crow Call.  About 10 minutes later that back dot was sitting on a branch of an old ash tree about 20 above me.  The thing that really got me wondering at the time was the fact that the bird never changed course, he had me dialed in when he first heard the crow call.  At the time I thought it to be coincidence, but having had similar result time and again I have convinced myself that birds have vastly superior hearing to us mere humans.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 9:29:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great story Brad & photographs!

I have seen first hand (X ray vision) the hearing capabilities of birds.  I scanned the horizon for birds one day several years ago with 8X binoculars and saw nothing.  Gave a couple of "toots" on my old World Famous Herter's Crow Call and about 15 minutes later I saw a black dot on the horizon.  I gave another "toot" on the old Herter's Crow Call.  About 10 minutes later that back dot was sitting on a branch of an old ash tree about 20 above me.  The thing that really got me wondering at the time was the fact that the bird never changed course, he had me dialed in when he first heard the crow call.  At the time I thought it to be coincidence, but having had similar result time and again I have convinced myself that birds have vastly superior hearing to us mere humans.
View Quote
Predators are the same way!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top