Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2018 9:42:49 AM EDT
What a deal! Had 4 gobbling south of me on the roost, and one way north.
Nothing came my way right after flydown.

I had a red tail hawk hit both my lay down and feeder decoys, scared the heck out of me both times lol!!

But, about 710 or so, a pair of hens were talking to me down in the timber to my north. As we were talking back and forth, this guy fired up to my SE!!! I gave him a dose of yelps from both my VECtor aluminum and slate calls, then layer them down.

He was behind me, where I could see him, but could finally hear him drumming as he worked closer!!

I could finally see a peek of him to my left, thru the side of the dark blind at about 20 yds.

He slowly strutted to the standing hen decoy, but his eyes were on the lay down hen!!

I slowly got the Flintlock Trade Gun up and stuck out the window, pulled back the hammer, and got down on the gun.

I let him get right next to the lay down hen, and couldn’t take it any longer, so I let er bark!! Everything worked as it should have, as this Gun had been loaded since the Tuesday evening of opening week!!!

Those that say, “can’t stop the flop”, should shoot their birds at 8 steps....
This Tom never twitched!!!!

For those that care, this is a replica Fur Trade Era Trade Gun, that would have gone west and were traded for Beaver Furs, and used by the Trappers and Traders. These were found on the Steamboat Arabia, and likely will be found on the Malta!!
I loaded it with 70 gr by volume of 2F real black powder, under 80 gr by volume of #5 lead shot.

The bird weighed 21.5# on the Berkeley fish scales. Spurs are 7/8” and 1”, beard is 9.25”.

This is my 3rd bird with a Flintlock, after 12-15 with a percussion 12 ga Double, but my first with the Trade Gun!!!
What a rush! Can’t wait to do it again!!!

https://imgur.com/gallery/K7eeVbM
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 9:50:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats OP.. You should post a pic of the rifle
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 10:55:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Congrats OP.. You should post a pic of the rifle
View Quote

This.  Need to see your meat!
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 4:34:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, I tried the imgur thing, and all it did was attach a link to pics?
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 5:17:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Hit the copy button where it shows the link between  img /img  and then right click/paste it in your post. 

If it doesn't show, you should consider buying a membership.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 5:20:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Yea, don’t see that option on the iPhone.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#6]
That's so cool! You build or buy that nice trade gun?
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 11:25:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Awesome OP

OP's pic
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 10:14:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That's so cool! You build or buy that nice trade gun?
View Quote
I am the 2nd owner. It was originally bought back in the early 80’s. No makers mark anywhere on it, although it wears a Pedersoli Lott lock.

ccc, thanks for posting the pic!!!

I’m headed back out this weekend to try to fill my last tag!!!
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 3:11:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Interesting. That trigger guard looks bigger then the Pedersoli trade gun. Also I'm digging that buffalo horn.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 10:29:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Interesting. That trigger guard looks bigger then the Pedersoli trade gun. Also I'm digging that buffalo horn.
View Quote
This gun had a brass trigger guard originally but I had my buddy Forge an iron one. It’s exactly the shape and size of the original.
The buffler horn was made by a good friend, rawhide patch and all.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 10:06:08 AM EDT
[#11]
It is a shame you wasted all that shot Brad.  At 8 steps the noise would have killed him!

Nice photograph, Trade Gun and bird!  Congratulations!
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 7:22:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This gun had a brass trigger guard originally but I had my buddy Forge an iron one. It’s exactly the shape and size of the original.
The buffler horn was made by a good friend, rawhide patch and all.
View Quote
Ah that would make sense. Looks good.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 9:15:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Great picture and nice gun and horn. What's the bore on the trade gun?
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 9:26:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Great picture and nice gun and horn. What's the bore on the trade gun?
View Quote
20ga, cylinder bore. Patterns well for turkeys at 25yds.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 9:28:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It is a shame you wasted all that shot Brad.  At 8 steps the noise would have killed him!

Nice photograph, Trade Gun and bird!  Congratulations!
View Quote
He might have died from smoke inhalation!!!
I’ll find out though, I have dermestid beetles and will clean the skull and neck from both birds.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 9:57:14 AM EDT
[#16]
This old guy keeps getting smarter.  I had to look up the beetles.  I'd be a little afraid that when they ran out of meat on the turkeys they might turn their attention to me.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:45:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This old guy keeps getting smarter.  I had to look up the beetles.  I'd be a little afraid that when they ran out of meat on the turkeys they might turn their attention to me.  
View Quote
So far, they’ve only eaten the dead stuff lol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top