Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2018 2:46:29 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 6:14:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Send it to me, please.  I like it and will take good care of it.

Whose version is this?  An Indian-made smooth bore, or a high quality actual rifle?  I REALLY want one of these, but don't really want to spend $1000+ AND wait a year or more for a kit from TotW.

HELLO PEDERSOLI.  Baker fans are talking to you!

Rob
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 12:08:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 12:20:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Is it smooth bore or rifled
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 6:30:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 11:43:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Smooth bore.
They won't ship rifled guns across the border.  There are a couple of places here in the states that will rebarrel it if I decide to go that route.
View Quote
I looked into getting one of those for my Texas Rev reenacting but opted for a springfield smooth bore .
Enjoy
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 2:40:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Well this post pushed me over the edge!  I just called The Rifle Shoppe and ordered one of their Baker Rifle kits (1806 model)!  They have all the parts in stock except the stock which needs to be cut in about a week.  Looks like I have myself a Spring and Summer project!

FYI:  they are still not taking new orders for assembly work, including locks.  My lock will be un-assembled.  The shop told me that the Baker locks plates are already drilled and the springs are tempered, so it is a matter of polishing and fitting and hardening the frizzen rather that having to drill all the holes and temper the springs, too.

Rob
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#7]
As an enormous Sharpe fan, I'd absolutely love to get my hands on a repro Baker rifle.

As someone who's woodworking skills don't extend beyond whittling sticks into sharp points, building one out of a kit isn't really much of an option, though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 10:22:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I hope you guys buying these are getting proofed barrels, and not the converted wallhanger India guns.

I know India can make good rifles, but I would NEVER buy an unproofed barrel.
Just because companies here are drilling flash/touch holes and shooting a couple rounds to "test", doesn't make it safe.

It could last a lifetime, or could blow on the 15th round.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 5:39:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 7:25:27 PM EDT
[#10]
From the factual information I have been able to find, there are several reasons to not like the "inexpensive" Indian reproductions, but the SAFETY of the barrel is NOT one of them (more about the aesthetics, ergonomics and historical accuracy).  As long as we are talking about the major US and Canadian retailers and the guns they bring in, the barrels are NOT the cheap DOM tubing that is often claimed.  Is it reasonable to think that any company importing and selling these could stay in business for YEARS if they were selling potential "bombs" made out of pot metal or cheap tubing?

Now, putting ANY amount of powder (must less a projectile) into a display NON-GUN is crazy and unsafe.

That said, I bought the kit from The Rifle Shoppe because I wanted a real rifled barrel from a well-known barrel maker, a stock made of good old American Walnut and small parts that are very close to historically accurate.

Rob
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 8:55:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Rifle Shoppe kit with Lodgewood - a T.W. Pistor Jaeger rifle.  You have to have a bit of patience though.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 1:47:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I had an RS Baker years ago, built by them. An absolute gem, had to sell to raise cash for an emergency. Regret that to this day.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 10:30:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well this post pushed me over the edge!  I just called The Rifle Shoppe and ordered one of their Baker Rifle kits (1806 model)!  They have all the parts in stock except the stock which needs to be cut in about a week.  Looks like I have myself a Spring and Summer project!

FYI:  they are still not taking new orders for assembly work, including locks.  My lock will be un-assembled.  The shop told me that the Baker locks plates are already drilled and the springs are tempered, so it is a matter of polishing and fitting and hardening the frizzen rather that having to drill all the holes and temper the springs, too.

Rob
View Quote
Rob,

What all is involved in building/assembling a Rifle Shoppe rifle kit?

Thanks!

@Teddydog
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 12:21:20 AM EDT
[#14]
the first step will be clearing off my workbench.

Next will be actually opening the box to see what I'm up against!

I did finally get my kit early this month, but I have not yet opened the box or started anything.  It will require final sanding and profiling of the stock and fitting the parts.  MAJOR inletting is supposed to be done already, but we'll see.  The lock also needs to be assembled.

Rob
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 7:31:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

the first step will be clearing off my workbench.

Next will be actually opening the box to see what I'm up against!

I did finally get my kit early this month, but I have not yet opened the box or started anything.  It will require final sanding and profiling of the stock and fitting the parts.  MAJOR inletting is supposed to be done already, but we'll see.  The lock also needs to be assembled.

Rob
View Quote
Want to do a thread on that?  I would love to  follow along on that...give me some confidence to try it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top