Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2016 12:03:21 PM EDT
One of my mom's sewing friends found this on a shelf at her deceased parents house.

According to the Colt Website, it was made in 1854. It has Proof marks on the barrel and all 5 chambers. Has a lot of the original case hardening color on it. Numbers matching on everything I can see (I didn't pull the wedge pin).

I am not big into black powder guns, but it seems to be in almost NRA Antique Fine except for the broken corner of the grip.

I have no idea about the originality of the box, the partitions seem different than some pictures I have seen.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 12:06:59 PM EDT
[#1]
London Address
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 12:12:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow...
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 1:41:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:14:40 PM EDT
[#4]
$ ka - ching

Nice piece.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:41:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Um... you just discovered a piece of history. 

I would guess if the accessories and box are origional it might worth north of 10k. 

take it to an appraiser and then get a glass box for it if you want to keep it. They don't make em like that anymore. 
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:58:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Um... you just discovered a piece of history.

I would guess if the accessories and box are origional it might worth north of 10k. 

take it to an appraiser and then get a glass box for it if you want to keep it. They don't make em like that anymore. 
View Quote

That's what I love about old guns. They are a tangible part of history.  Even if you don't know the story of the owners, the design, proofs, evolution of variants tells the story of the times.  

I'm not sure it is worth 10k, my (2007) copy of Flayderman's guide values the gun at around $1400 and says the box, if authentic could be as much as 2k.  

As I said, It's not mine (yet) my mom's friend sent it to me to look at.  She hasn't decided if she wants to sell or not.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:39:07 PM EDT
[#7]
you might want to do a bit more digging. maybe not quite 10k, but i dont know enough about the subject to rule it out

cased 1849

second one

the case looks correct. 

either way. holy fuck, i would be happy to just finger fuck an original from that period
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 10:51:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I watched a Pocket Colt sell at auction a few weeks ago for $1100. I ran it up to $800 and ran out of cash!

I wish I could find an attic as nice as your friends!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top