Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2013 5:30:54 PM EDT
Bought some 45 Colt components and the guy had a bunch of loaded 250 gr cast and he said it was PDX pellets. Has is avid BP pistol shooter and his reloads show consistant casting and seating. He shot a replica 45 LC and said they had a kick, I carry a Vaquero(old model) and have pushed close to 44 pressures. Are these safe loads or should I pull and start over...only have knowledge of smokeless myself.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 8:06:41 PM EDT
[#1]
If they are truly what he says they are they will be safe.   Pyrodex is loaded volumetrically the same as BP.  You can't load enough BP in a case to burst a gun so by extension I would expect Pyrodex filling a given volume of case would be safe.
Link Posted: 9/24/2013 7:26:50 PM EDT
[#2]
That's kinda what I have heard about pdx. I know the vaquero is strong enough for some higher pressures in smokeless but wanted to confirm with group.
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 1:24:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Keep in mind according to Hodgdon

Cartridge cases that have been fired using Pyrodex require special care. As soon as possible after firing, cases should be de-primed and immersed in 50% water and white vinegar. The acidity of the vinegar will neutralize the corrosive residues remaining in the case. Care should be taken to limit the soaking time of the cases in the vinegar to 10 minutes. Soaking for a longer time may cause etching of the brass case resulting in shortened case life. Rinse cases with clear water, dry and polish in a tumbler with corncob or walnut shell media.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 6:49:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't like pyropoop at all. If I must use other than black I'll use T-7.
Keep in mind the ENTIRE revolver needs cleaned of the corosive residue, not just the cylinder & bore.
Pyrocrap is every bit as corrosive as black powder.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 4:21:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't like pyropoop at all. If I must use other than black I'll use T-7.
Keep in mind the ENTIRE revolver needs cleaned of the corosive residue, not just the cylinder & bore.
Pyrocrap is every bit as corrosive as black powder.
View Quote

In my experience Pyro is FAR more corrosive than real black.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top