Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2012 6:50:47 PM EDT
I recently received my original colt bullet mold to cast bullets for my colt 1860 army made by Uberti. I figured I would use this mold until I had the money to send off a bullet to a place to have a modern mold made. Aside from that I was wondering what a good powder charge is to use with this bullet. I have no idea what the bullets will weigh out at other than it will definitely be over 200 grs. These are the bullets that were designed for the gun. I will be shooting the rest of the FFFg black powder I have until it’s gone and I have to switch to my pyrodex.
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 7:07:21 PM EDT
[#1]
The std. round ball load is 30gr of 3Fg, use 25gr 3Fg to start. You might go to 30gr of 3Fg, but see if you need to before starting there.

Link Posted: 12/19/2012 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#2]
25 grains sounds about right, the only thing you really have to watch out for is filling the chamber too full to seat the bullet fully inside the chamber.  I would leave a little extra room to account for the bullets in latter chambers being inched forward by recoil.
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 1:20:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
25 grains sounds about right, the only thing you really have to watch out for is filling the chamber too full to seat the bullet fully inside the chamber.  I would leave a little extra room to account for the bullets in latter chambers being inched forward by recoil.

So I shot the 1860 with 25 gr FFFg black powder behind a 211 gr conical from an origional colt mold lubed with SPG. Accuracy was excellent and performance was superb. I fired about 60 rounds.
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 5:52:34 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So I shot the 1860 with 25 gr FFFg black powder behind a 211 gr conical from an origional colt mold lubed with SPG. Accuracy was excellent and performance was superb. I fired about 60 rounds.

Good deal!!

Link Posted: 12/23/2012 6:14:05 AM EDT
[#5]
consider a Howell conversion and use 45 long colt you can still use the 200gr conicals with smokless

Link Posted: 12/23/2012 10:53:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wonderful!  Got any pictures for us?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:41:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I didnt save the target but I will post a thread with pics next time I shoot it. Probably this weekend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top