Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2010 5:21:28 AM EDT
OK
Can someone tell me what the differences of each are?

I am looking at my first BP gun and want to do this right.
Price is not the biggest issue and they seem to be in the same price range anyway.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 11/30/2010 8:18:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a TC Omega Z7 inline. The big difference is the Encore is a break open and the Omega fixed barrel.
Link Posted: 11/30/2010 12:17:48 PM EDT
[#2]
OK
I understand what a fixed and break open is of course but
What are the advantages to one over the other in a black powder rifle?

I own many regular rifles, never owned a BP

What advantages does the new design of the Omega give you.
Link Posted: 11/30/2010 12:20:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the Encore.  I like the fact that I can easily unscrew the breach plug for easy cleaning.  I also love the fact that I can change out barrels in less than 2 minutes to have a shotty, centerfire rifle or rimfire rifle.  

Encore is a win win in my book.
Link Posted: 11/30/2010 3:39:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Because it takes modern cartridge barrels the TC Encore is a real firearm and subject to such restrictions.

The Omega should cost about 1/2 what the Encore does and it can be shipped directly to your home with no FFL needed.
Link Posted: 11/30/2010 5:28:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Break open MLs are illegal in some states. Encore barrels alone cost as much as a whole Omega.
Link Posted: 11/30/2010 5:34:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I had my choice a few years ago and unfortunately went with the omega. Now I'm not saying it is an awful gun, it is not. I actually killed 2 deer with it today (nj muzzle season) and Many more over the past few years. The problems I find with it is 1) the primers get stuck in the breach plug sometimes (carry a small set of pliers) 2) the primers can be very hard to get on and off with cold hands and they can fall in the action and get caught. These are very accurate guns as are the encores. I just like encores better because I find the break action very much easier to get a primer on and they never get stuck because it has a mechanical thing that pops it out a little. Although the encore requires an ffl, it is nice to know that your muzzeloader is capable of handling a 375 h&h mag. Overall I think you may regret not getting an encore in a few years as I have found they are the best of the best of muzzleloaders.
Link Posted: 11/30/2010 8:23:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Which is easier to clean and maintain?  
I have enough rifles that I do not need to have a convertible set up,

This is only for hunting in black powder season.

Link Posted: 12/1/2010 3:00:42 AM EDT
[#8]
The new Encores are extremely easy to clean.  Mine is 7 years old and is easy to clean, but the newer models have improved the breach plug to make it virtually no tools necessary to remove and clean.  I can't speak for the inline models.  

Lastly, another reason to go Encore is resale value.  If you decide that you don't like it or don't like BP hunting, you will get your money back out of an Encore.  Not so with inline BP rifles.
Link Posted: 12/1/2010 5:25:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks
I will have to continue to look into both more.

As I said cost and resale are not a factor (within reason of course).
If I do not like to BP hunt Id still keep it in back of the safe for a friend to use or
if shtf it would be a good piece to trade and of course if I ever had to count on hunting
to feed the family it would be good to have for the seasons specific to it.

Thanks to everyone for all their help.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 5:45:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I have an omega and have been very happy with it, easily the best bang for the buck.  I dont get the encore - you pay twice as much and dont gain anything on the ML end of things(about same barrel as omega)  Yeah you can buy single shot barrels - but that is a personal thing, as I have zero interest in that.  Really if all you want is a ML then the omega is the way to go.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 7:20:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I have an encore and it is a great ML, but I bought it over the Omega because I can and do change the barrel out for a centerfire rifle barrel.

Now a friend of mine just bought a new T/C "Impact" ML which is a new (at least to me) inexpensive ML.  IT is a break action like the encore, but you can't change barrels, it is ML only and the typical price is $250.  He has been very impressed with it and has taken two doe so far this season with it.  It has a spacer in the stock that can be removed so maybe lids could use it as a starter ML, which is my plan instead of spending the big dollars for a youth stock for my encore.

check it out.  Impact

Indy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top