Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2009 5:58:48 PM EDT
Anyone have experience with either of  these 2 bullet molds from Lee?

I've got my bullet casting set up and about 65 lbs of pure lead.  Want to start casting some bullets for my TC Thunder Hawk and New Englander in .54 cal.

The Modern Minnie seems like it should load a bit easier, which would be nice for hunting, but I'm wondering how accuracy compares.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 3:28:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Always wondered how they compared myself... The 50 cal, 250gr & 320gr REALs are outstanding in my Traditions inline as well as the TC New Englander. The Modern Minnie looks very promising as well.  Maybe someday I'll find someone who can spare a few to try.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 4:04:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I think I'll just have to break down and buy a mold for each and see how they work.

Even if one works great for someone else there's no guarantee that it will work well for me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 6:04:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to shoot both in a .50 T/C Hawken and in a .50 Traditions Hawken.   The Modern Minnie does load much easier than the REAL but not enough to make much difference.  Accuracy wise, I got similar accuracy with 1-48 twist with both bullets, but with the Traditions in 1-66, the moden minnie was slightly more accurate than even the lightest weight REAL.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2009 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I cast both the .50 360gr minie and the 320gr REAL for use in a T/C Grey Hawk.
I've had terrible luck with them in my rifle. I know they're sized correctly (over .500"),but they just don't seem to grip the T/C's thin rifling very well. The same gun shoots better (but still rather so-so) with round ball. I always thought I was at fault,till I started shooting a Lyman flintlock,and realized that I did better with that rifle than with the T/C caplock. With various borrowed inlines,I shoot quite well.

BTW, they both load quite easily compared to patched round ball,even w/o a false muzzle. The REAL may be a bit easier to start,but there's not much difference in seating pressure. Both are only a bit tighter to load than say a Powerbelt.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 4:28:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I have shot a lot of the REAL bullets both from a TC seneca in 45cal and from a TC renegade in 54cal. I have found them to be one of the easier bullets to start and ram and found them to be quite accurate, and as a bonus they act like a semi wadcutter and leave a very nice hole in the target.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 10:02:20 AM EDT
[#6]
With both, they need to be cast from pure lead to properly engrave in the rifling. If the alloy is any harder than 12-13 or so, accuracy will start to suffer.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 1:34:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
With both, they need to be cast from pure lead to properly engrave in the rifling. If the alloy is any harder than 12-13 or so, accuracy will start to suffer.

I coach a junior air rifle program.  I'm recycling the lead pellets from the air rifle traps.  I'm pretty sure they are pure lead.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:37:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I ordered the 410 gr. 533 Lee Improved Modern Minnie mold from Midway.  (My Midway Modern Minnie Mold)

It arrived last night.

Hopefully I'll get to cast some up this evening and give them a try on Saturday.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top