Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2006 8:06:31 AM EDT
I want to load up a few blackpowder cartridges in .45 Colt.  I use a Dillion 550B so I plan on emptying the powder measure, then using the press normally except for adding the powder manually just before I add the bullet.

I have a Lee Powder Measure Set and was going to check if any would match up with the right amount of powder to make this easier. From what I have been reading I need nearly a full case of BP with about 1/16" compression once the bullet is seated.

Am I on the right path here?

I also want to load a few Pyrodex loads. Anything different to watch our for (other than the volume/weight difference)?

Then I want to make a few BP shotgun shells. See where this is going
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:52:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:52:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got that same Lyman book.

Is there a preferred method for determining powder level vs bullet depth?  If the bullet does not seat all the way I guess too much, but somewhere in the fine details it looks like I can have too much or too little and not know it.

I tried those Lee powder measures and find them way too inaccurate. It’s every load to the digital powder scale for now.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:08:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:37:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Oregon Trail 250gr RNFP
Ruger NM Vaquero 5 1/2 barrel
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:18:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:17:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, I loaded up 6 last night. Probably a dozen if you figure the test rounds I later pulled the bullets on, most without powder. The Dillion 550B is not a good press for these experiments. I'm going to look at getting a turret press and another set of .45 Colt dies for experiments.

Last night I read an article by John Taffin where he says use a wooden dowell to measure bullet depth. I'll do for the next batch. He also says to use bullets with special lube to keep the barrel cleaner. More stuff to find.

The only thing I'm not clear on is what problems occur with overly compressed powder and what happens if there is a little bit of airspace from not enough powder.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:20:40 AM EDT
[#7]
NO airspace in case
use FFG black powder

Use bp lube for bullets not regular lube
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:38:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 9:24:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I fired off all six today without incident.

One thing I noticed was the blackpowder shot is a longer sound than with smokeless.

With smokeless I hear the shot followed by the clang of steel as the bullet hits.  With blackpowder all I hear is the shot. The clang of steel was missing.  I really miss that sound. I also miss seeing the steel plate swing.  The cloud of smoke and smell of powder was nice though.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 3:38:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 3:59:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I should challenge a 9mm auto guru to the dueling tree. They won't be able to shoot any faster than me with all that smoke every shot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top