Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2006 4:38:18 PM EDT
I just picked up a repro 1874 Sharps Sporting rifle.  Whats everyone's favorite Loads?  BP and Nitro.  

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:03:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Black Powder- Load the empty case with Goex BP Cartridge, or 2F to just under the neck, preferably about 1/4" below. Place a wad over the powder, and then compress (seat) the bullet over the load. If you prefer a lighter load, make sure to top off the remainder with preferably wads, or oat meal. The key is no air space under the bullet. I would spend the money and buy a box of BP loads with the 405 grain flat nose, which replicates the original Army load. I have had good luck with a 60 gr. 2X or Cartridge Goex.
Fadala's guide to Blackpowder is an excellent source, as is Dixie Gun Works table of loads.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:42:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks,

Im just catching up, in the last year I have finally made it to the 19th century so to speak.  Been shooting flintlocks since I was a kid.  

Im quite impressed with BPCR's, was amazed at the accuracy, my father has been shooting them for the last 3-4 years and got his Highwall dialed in, then handed to to me, was knocking over rams at 500 meters left and right!

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:29:54 AM EDT
[#3]
The BPCR game is a hoot. We shoot the mid range silhouettes here the second Sunday of every month.

I shoot A C Sharps 1875 New Model in 40-65.

I prefer the Swiss 1-1/2 fg,  the fouling is a little softer and I get better standard deviation and muzzle velocity.  I cast my own bullets out of 30:1 Alloy with a lyman 410678 "Bore Riding Bullet". I have a lot of information on this sport, shoot me a IM if you need anything.

sharpknife
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top