Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2005 6:28:16 PM EDT
I left my rifle uncleaned for ten days.  Now the nipple has rust on it and the bolt is frozen.
My inline TC Firehawk is an awesome rifle and i should not maltreat her so.  I love the way she shoots sabots and the SS barrel never ceases to amaze. How could i be so callous?
Maybe i got lazy because i thought SS doesn't rust.  Maybe i got busy with a thousand and one other things going on.  Maybe this, maybe that, maybe, maybe.

I did my penance yesterday, three hours of scrubbing, buffing, polishing.  So much hot water, #13 bore cleaner, Turtle wax chrome polish and rust remover, Flitz, and Bore-Butter chafes my hands, ruins my nails but that is the price for negligence!
What is the loss of a tee-shirt compared to the creeping ruin of oxidation?  All my patches are spent, brushes dulled. Solvent dissolving things.

The good news is that SS stands up well,  Simmons scopes don't mind some hard treatment, Hot-Shot nipples can withstand SOME abuse, and i still get groups to blow you mind; ~2 inches at 50 yards (if i do my part), and minute of whitetail at a hundred.  Ignition was stellar.  Recoil minimal.

I promise to never leave it that long again, amen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top