Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2005 1:21:43 AM EDT
Although I'm an AR owner/Shooter my local club here in south Wales UK is predominantly black powder shooter.
I just thought i'd share this with you.

The Welsh Muzzle Loaders Association held the 2005 Open Championships on the weekend of the 2nd and 3rd of July at the Pickwick Club Range, Ewenny, South Wales.

The Pickwick Club hosted the event with their usual efficient flair and friendly approach. The club range which is situated in beautiful ancient woodland near Bridgend, was lucky with the weather as on the Saturday it was only very slightly overcast with no wind and Sunday was gorgeous sunshine with no wind again. Work on the firing points had been completed only the week before the Competition, and the new look range was now much more spacious as it had been designed with muzzle loaders in mind, with ample room for shooting and preparation. A large marquee tent  provided a clean area for eating and drinking, as well as the all important scoring and registration functions.

The range was well run by Bill James and many thanks go to him for his Range Officer duties. The competition was organized by the Welsh Muzzle Loaders Association, started by Bob Everitt and John Taylor to promote, encourage and teach black powder shooting in Wales.

It was a very relaxed atmosphere for the whole of the weekend and as there were no squadding times to conform to it was a “turn up and enjoy the weekend” event. Special thanks go to all those Pickwick club members who helped out on the weekend and of course with the sterling work from Bob and John it could not have been more enjoyable.

Shooting was continuous from 10am until 4pm on both the Saturday and Sunday with almost all details running to full capacity. One of the goals of the WMLA is that events like this should be held to enable ordinary club shooters to take part in Competitions, and shoot alongside experienced shooters from other parts of the UK. This was certainly achieved as there was a mixture of new competitors and Great Britain team members on every detail. The Competition was very enjoyable for those who participated and without any doubt everyone had a great time.
Although most competitors were from Wales, the location did not prevent shooters from travelling here from all over the UK. A great day was had by all and there will be plenty of notice given as to the date of the next competition.

Prizes and awards were presented by last years Welsh Rifle Champion, Dave Hamilton.

PISTOL COMPETITION RESULTS

Free Pistol
1st B James 94 2nd R Everitt  94 3rd C Rone 93
Kuchenreuter Replica
1st R Everitt 96 2nd B James 94 3rd P Biebrach 94
Kuchenreuter Original
1st C Rone 90 2nd B James 90 3rd R Everitt 89
Colt
1st R Everitt 89 2nd J Taylor 87 3rd D Spittles 86
Mariette
1st D Davey 91 2nd R Everitt 91 3rd M Thomas 91
Comminazo
1st D Spittles 83
50m Pistol
1st P Biebrach 85 2nd C Rone 84 3rd R Everitt 83
Welsh Pistol Champion
1st R Everitt 2nd C Rone 3rd R Everitt
Pistol Aggregate Champion
1st R Everitt 2nd P Biebrach 3rd  D Davey

RIFLE COMPETITION RESULTS

Free Rifle
1st J Taylor 94 2nd D Hamilton 83 3rd J Preece 79
Military Rifle
1st J Taylor 86 2nd J Preece 85 3rd D Hamilton 82
Flintlock Rifle
1st J Preece 88 2nd D Hamilton 83
Welsh Rifle Champion

pictures to come

Taffy

The all new Pickwick shooting positions after recent refurbishment

John Taylor receiving the coveted reproduction 15th Century German helmet as prize for the Welsh Rifle Champion

Bob Everitt diligently totting up scores

Ah the smell of black powder in the morning

One of the Pickwick club stalwarts Jim Preece receives another award
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Any pics of the rifles?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:43:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll get some

Taffy
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:52:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I have heard that the gun control laws are very strict there in GB, but what exactly are the laws. Can you own bolt action rifles, handguns, etc.?
I thought that an AR was out of the question over there.

Help to educate a yank!
Thanks!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:50:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Chevy

We have many restrictions. Laws are continualy being changed which harm shooting in the UK.
Basicaly

We can have

22lr Semi auto
Full bore bolt/straight pull rifles
Muzzle loading pistols and rifles
Cans
Bayonet lugs

Not allowed any pistols
or semi auto rifles over 22lr cal

If you pop into the UK forum there's a tacked thread with our laws etc
And plenty of pics of our AR's

Go have a look

Cheers

Taffy

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top