Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2005 7:57:55 PM EDT
Who makes the largest commercial black powder rifle?  The .58 is dying fast but I am looking larger.  Are their any 8, 6 or 4 bores out there?  Who would make one?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:13:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, the ole venerable Brown bess is 75 caliber, IIRC that is 535 grains of lead going down range.

How much more do you want?

ETA an "L" and remove other useless comments
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:32:13 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 on the Brown Bess. It's a fun gun! With a 3/4" lead ball, you know you're gonna do some damage if you hit what you're aiming at.

Pedersoli makes them, and Cabelas sells them for about $800.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:00:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Remember, don't aim past 50 yards!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:58:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Sweet.  Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:38:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Remember, don't aim past 50 yards!

Hey Smegger,
you got that right. 50 yards as the max!
One time i was shooting at gallon milk jugs at 100.  I am here to tell you that was an excerise in futillity.
I actually did hit one, ON THE BOUNCE!.  you could see the ball going, going, falling.
I understand the tactics of the age now.  Just stand in a line and fire away.  Its about the only way you're going to hit anything.
Better yet, "Fix bayonetts!"

Other than that, use bigger guns. 'Bout a six pounder, that'll get the job done.  
If'n it don't-move up a bit.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:24:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Cabela's offers a .72 caliber double rifle and you can always check with October Country, here is a review, I have gone to their website October Country in the past and they had the 4 and 8 bores for sale but I don't see them on the new site. If you are serious you may want to give them a call.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:33:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I've had The Hots for an old "stopper" type gun .  I'd like a double but even a Cape gun would be good . Rifled I think that .72 is the biggest . I have not read the review yet but have been told it is limited to @110 grs. 2 FF ....w/ RB , Crikey that would hardly qualify as a stopper by pre fixed ammo . I've read the stuff about the new powder being much more powerfull but I dont buy it as BP is BP for the most part . I suppose it may be more efficant , but in old literature they used some hellasous loads in measured in Drams (27.5 grs to the dram) 10 drams was not uncommon !!!!! for 10 bores 8 bores .

Dixe put out an "Elephont gun" years ago . I think It was an 8 bore . I'd even like the smooth bore double "rifle" Ball gun 8 bore . There is a company that biulds them w/ express sights ($900). and Sparten arms (remington) is bringing out a "modern"  double SxS 45/70 and 30-06 I dont think I'll be able to resist .......

You can get barrels rifles in nearly any Cal.  A freind of mine and I Proofed an .85 Rifle . At the time I thought it was ridiculuas .....I still do but want one anyway .

It's been my experience that .58 Minie Balls have always been hard to find (last30 years), and expensive . I've never had the nerve to buy a mould and try them as I have a hell of a time sometimes w/ RB's and Conicals . Let me know if you want to sell your rifled musket ???? Rocklock
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:55:08 AM EDT
[#8]
An .85 cal would kick ass (among other things).  I am going to look into a custom barel for my Encore in the .75 cal range or as big as Lee makes casting moulds for.  The largest I've owned was a .54 but gave it to my dad after getting the 50 Encore which is entirely too eficient and practical.  I've shot quite a few .58 but have a case of Bigger Badder disease which is similar to the Black Rifle disease but bigger and badder.  If 1 inch gass pipe would have a high enough pressure rating I would make an inline .100 cas smoth bore out of that.  Unfortunately I have no metal working skills so I would need to farm everything out and don't want to pay a zillion dollars for a barrel and some welding.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:29:41 AM EDT
[#9]
You can get a 4 bore built if needed.  You might be surprised at the number of these monsters people are building and using!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:45:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Where would a guy start looking?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top