Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2005 12:12:59 PM EDT
For Christmass I got a flintlock.  Shot it for a few times, flipped the flint and shot a few more.  Now I have tried several things I have read about sharpening a flint, but I just don't seem to be getting it.  I can almost never get it right or maybe I can get it right enough to last one shot and then no luck.  Any suggestions from the expierenced?

Thank you,

Dan Edgington
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:38:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I had the same problem.  I just bought new flints if I couldn't get the edge back on the non-sparkers.

Man I love this Ohio humidity and 93 degrees!  How about U???
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:19:51 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are using machine cut flints that are smooth on all sides throw them away. If you are using napped flints like the old-timers used you can sharpen them by taking a small brass rod about 1/4" dia 4" long, place index finger of weak hand under edge of flint while in the lock and lightly tap the top edge of the flint accross the face. this will break of small shards of flint giving a nice new sharp edge. this is basicly napping the flint. with a little paractice you can make a flint last for twice its normal life, and its a lot faster than changing the flint out.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:32:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the insight...I will keep playing around and see what works...

And No I am not enjoying 90 degree/ 90%.  It makes me irritable....

Dan
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:45:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Make sure it is on half cock or down as the sears can take a beating . Like D223 said you acually strike down on to the top of the flint which seemed wierd when I learned it but it has to do w/ a bulb of precussion , and sometimes you have to tap the top surface pretty hard .

You are getting somewhere when you see chips (wear saftey glasses) . Pro Knappers wear masks when Knapping as they inhale tenny pieces of flint dust in goes into the lungs and cuts them up ....

Some flints can be sharpend several times some just fracture and fall out of the jaws !
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:26:35 AM EDT
[#5]
You can also use deer antler to knap flints if you have an small ones around.
I do it for my Lyman GPR flintlock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top