Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2005 9:06:39 AM EDT
What are the top muzzloader companies? I mean like how Bushmaster and Colt are to AR-15's, how are muzzleloaders?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:06:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Traditions, pendersoli, armi-sport, euroarms
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:56:46 PM EDT
[#2]
AKman434,
I would agree, but respectfully, put other manufactures higher on the list,
Thompson/Center makes good guns, rifles and pistols, and their warranty is awesome.  I can not say enough here/now to explain, but i will say they stand by their product.
Really.

I like CVA, but they done gone tagno uniform.
Navy Arms, is a reliable company, albeit, a tad expensive.
There are more (custom) places to find BP stuff, but I want a shooter.  YMMV
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:25:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Traditions, pedersoli, armi-sport, euroarms

Not trying to be a spelling nazi here, but that's Pedersoli, not Pendersoli.

www.davide-pedersoli.com/.

BTW, I've had the chance to shoot a Pedersoli .75cal Brown Bess and a Pedersoli .69cal Springfield 1795, and they were both top notch reproductions. When I get a musket, it's gonna be a Pedersoli.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:36:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Number one muzzleloader out there is the savage 10ml2, strongest most accurate, not legal to use smokless powder in all states though.  Number two would have to be Knight, and the third would have to be Thompson Center.  Any of these three are good guns, I would hesitate to buy any BPI made (cva, traditions, or winchester guns) as there has been a question of how their barrels are proofed.  Just remember that saami standards only apply to cartridge guns, and not muzzleloaders.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:13:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Thompson Center  and Lyman are the top productoin blackpowder manufacturers.
There are a lot of custom and semi custom rifle makers.
Are you wanting a sidelock, percussion or flintlock, or an inline?
TC has a lifetime warranty that can't be beat. It doesn't matter how old or how many owners the rifle has had.
If you want a reasonably priced sidelock get either a TC Hawken or a Lyman Great Plains Rifle. Either make a very good choice.
Jim
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:32:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Knight, Thompson/Center.  Anything less would be uncivilized.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:43:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Lyman Great Plains and Thompson Center

I have one of each, but I prefer my custom made. Green Mountain barrell, Siler locks etc.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:38:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Thompson Center and Knight are where it is at unless you are going custom and TCs are the base platform for a lot of custom guns.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:20:10 PM EDT
[#9]
My Thompson Center is the prettiest, but my CVA's are my best shooting rifles.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:44:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Thompson Center and Lyman.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:36:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I love my Knight.  Right now it has a thumbhole stock and a Nikon 2-7x32 scope.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:55:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I have an InvestArms (Italy) Hawken in .54.  I bought in on a whim years ago and never fired it.  It has a beautiful stock and great finish...can anyone tell me what they know about this maker?  Is it any good?  Is this the same as Cabelas???  It looks just like the one in their catalog, the hunter version with adjustable sights and chrome bore.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:20:25 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have an InvestArms (Italy) Hawken in .54.  I bought in on a whim years ago and never fired it.  It has a beautiful stock and great finish...can anyone tell me what they know about this maker?  Is it any good?  Is this the same as Cabelas???  It looks just like the one in their catalog, the hunter version with adjustable sights and chrome bore.

Investarms is also the maker of the Lyman.  Your Hawken should be a fine gun.  I am not sure about whether it is the exact same gun as the one in Cabelas.  IIRC the only one in Cabelas that listed the chrome bore was the sporterized version.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:26:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I like my thompson center a lot.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:59:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks Glaser!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top