Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2005 1:29:06 PM EDT
What does everyone use?  Do you like it?  Any issues? (with powder selection)

I won't say specific load quantities, more what kind of powder.
In my .54 caliber inline TC Firehawk i like the Pyrodex RS.  I find it easy to use and reliable with a #11 magnum cap.
For the Flinty i only use Goex FF for the main, FFFF for the pan.  I have good results with few misfires.
When firing revolvers, both the Remington .44 and the Colt .36,  i always like the Pyrodex P, however i have been known to substitute the Goex FFF.  Its reliable, just a little dirtier.
I have been experimenting with a TC Hawken in .45 caliber.  It seems to like the Goex FFF also.  I know that FFF is nominally a "pistol" grade powder but less charge equals less recoil and this perticular rifle seems to group better with it.

I have not used the pellets.  What are some experiences with them?  Obviously they work else they wouldn't sell 'em.  I just wonder about real-world stories.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#1]
In my .54 Renagade 80 gr FFFG and patched RB for plinking and 106 FFFG and "Buffalo Bullet" when I hunted . I have always liked 3F over 2 Except in muskets . GOEX mostly I tried Pyrodex when it first came out , eehhh . No knowledge of "discs" or in-line ...stuff . 4F for flash pans . Looks like we have our own Forum !
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:00:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, no shit, eh?  Just you and me, bud.
Now, i said i did not want to talk to how much powder, more which ones....But

106g fff behind a Buffalo Bullet? Doesn't that kick like hell?
Last time i used a BB was in my Traditions, Pennsylvania (sp) in .50.  I was using 100g o' Pyrodex and that thing like to kick my head off.  There were many times i came home with a sore jaw, bruises on my cheek, or a bloody nose.
And i am not recoil sensitive.  That gun/load combo was just brutal.

'Course the same gun with a round ball would go supersonic.  You could hear it.  IIRC it was ~100g o' RS. Sumnabitch would group excellantly also. I had to sell it, though, too many tooth aches.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:13:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I use 35 grains of FFFg Triple 7 behind .451 Hornady balls in my .44cal Colt 1860. The only misfires I've had with the gun have been cap-related (Remington #10 caps).
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:23:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yeah, no shit, eh?  Just you and me, bud.
Now, i said i did not want to talk to how much powder, more which ones....But

106g fff behind a Buffalo Bullet? Doesn't that kick like hell?
Last time i used a BB was in my Traditions, Pennsylvania (sp) in .50.  I was using 100g o' Pyrodex and that thing like to kick my head off.  There were many times i came home with a sore jaw, bruises on my cheek, or a bloody nose.
And i am not recoil sensitive.  That gun/load combo was just brutal.

'Course the same gun with a round ball would go supersonic.  You could hear it.  IIRC it was ~100g o' RS. Sumnabitch would group excellantly also. I had to sell it, though, too many tooth aches.

Yes it belts you pretty good , off the bench is a bit much . Ive used Elaphant Brand too I can't tell a differance .
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:07:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I use Goex FFg and FFFg interchangably behind patched round ball. I have about the same results.
Of course I use FFFFg in the pan.  One time when I forgot my horn, I actually used FFFg in the pan and it worked rather well!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:44:50 AM EDT
[#6]

75 grains of FFg Goex in my .50 caliber Lyman Great Plains rifle shooting round balls does the trick for me.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:15:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I use Goex FFg and FFFg interchangably behind patched round ball. I have about the same results.
Of course I use FFFFg in the pan.  One time when I forgot my horn, I actually used FFFg in the pan and it worked rather well!

Was there any difference between the FFFg and the FFFFg in the pan? I'm thinking the FFFg would burn slower.

Click.........BANG!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:14:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't recall there being any change in timing between the click......boom.  It was the same as far as I could tell.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:54:17 AM EDT
[#9]
If I'm target shooting same # of grs as the caliber, if hunting 90 grs FF with a 45 cal patched roundball. (forced to use RB's in PA, muzzeloader season is called "primitive weapon", at least it was 7yrs ago when I moved out).  I use FFFF in my flash pan.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:42:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I only use Pyrodex RS in my sidehammer percussion T/C. I find that I still have ignition issues unless I use musket caps or 209's in a fusil. #11's just don't cut it after 2 or 3 rounds with no cleaning of the nipple.
For the Lyman GPR flintlock, I use Goex FF for hunting. I'm turning more and more to goex FFF for main charges. It does work well as a pan powder,and it's also good for pistols,so it makes for a nice versatile choice. In a .50 it makes for a decent main charge under patched round ball,and it's more economical than FF in terms of velocity vs charge weight. I've used Elephant BP in FF the past. It was dirtier than Goex. I was told that it fouls less if you use a grain size smaller than normal with Goex. I haven't tried the Swiss or Schuetzen powders yet. Anyone else used them?
I have a few pounds of 777,but I'm saving them for some BP cartridge uses in a modern firearm.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:05:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I've used so many powders over the years, I initialy used Dupont and Hogdon FFg and FFFg powder in my guns.  I switched to pyrodex when it came out and still like it.  I hunt using black powder only and practice using pyrodex, just depends tho.  I will test my loads using both also.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top