Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2020 10:17:34 AM EDT
Looking at a Quality Hardware carbine and asked the seller if it was import marked. He replied that it was not import marked, but it had SA51 stamped on the barrel. Does that make it a post WW2 barrel replacement by Springfield? Does this hurt the value? Carbine is a mixmaster with post war rear sight & bayonet lug, but with a Inland M1 stock. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 10:56:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looking at a Quality Hardware carbine and asked the seller if it was import marked. He replied that it was not import marked, but it had SA51 stamped on the barrel. Does that make it a post WW2 barrel replacement by Springfield? Does this hurt the value? Carbine is a mixmaster with post war rear sight & bayonet lug, but with a Inland M1 stock. Thanks
View Quote
All* M1 carbines that remained in US government ownership after WW2 were rebuilt at one point or another - and some were rebuilt before the end of the war.

* Other than carbines "converted*" to private ownership and "unicorns" that miraculously escaped rebuild somehow and collector "corrected" carbines with replacement "correct" parts.

*converted means (essentially) stolen.  In 1946-8 there was a way to retroactively buy stolen US weapons but...
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 11:40:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All* M1 carbines that remained in US government ownership after WW2 were rebuilt at one point or another - and some were rebuilt before the end of the war.

* Other than carbines "converted*" to private ownership and "unicorns" that miraculously escaped rebuild somehow and collector "corrected" carbines with replacement "correct" parts.

*converted means (essentially) stolen.  In 1946-8 there was a way to retroactively buy stolen US weapons but...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not all were rebuilt during or after the war...only most...but not all.

Yes thats an SA rebuild barrel...should also have a month stamp as well...like SA 9-51
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 11:41:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I realize that the carbines went through a rebuild program after the war. - Adjustable rear sight, bayonet lug, mag release button, safety, pot belly stocks. But I've never run across a carbine with what I thought was a post war barrel. I'm just looking to verify what I think about the barrel and if it being a post ww2 barrel, affects the value. Even with it being a rebuilt mixmaster.
Edit - thanks Jeremy
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 5:55:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I realize that the carbines went through a rebuild program after the war. - Adjustable rear sight, bayonet lug, mag release button, safety, pot belly stocks. But I've never run across a carbine with what I thought was a post war barrel. I'm just looking to verify what I think about the barrel and if it being a post ww2 barrel, affects the value. Even with it being a rebuilt mixmaster.
Edit - thanks Jeremy
View Quote
The M1 carbine was in US service into the late 1960s.  Barrels get shot-out or damaged and replaced.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 9:57:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes, it is considered a post WWII rebuild. Does it affect its value, yes. Pure collectors prefer WWII USGI barrels over post war ones.

That barrel could have been installed any time after it was made. My 2 bits, if you can get it at a good price and the barrel gauges good buy it and shoot it, Carbines ain't getting easier to find
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 12:03:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top