Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2017 6:55:29 PM EDT
A friend of mine recently acquired this bayonet and he asked me if I could help him identify it.  The closest thing I could find was an uzi bayonet and I think an FN 49 bayonet but they weren't quite right.

I know the leather and decorating on the scabbard isn't original.  If anyone knows what language that is, and better yet, what it says, that would be awesome.  My best guess is Hebrew but that's just a swag.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:58:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Italian modified 1891/ 38 bayonet which was initially made to fold but due to weaknesses in the design were made into fixed blade bayonets.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:15:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Italian modified 1891/ 38 bayonet which was initially made to fold but due to weaknesses in the design were made into fixed blade bayonets.
View Quote
Would make sense, I bet that badge is Ethiopian, maybe a captured Italian bayo, converted into a fighting knife?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:35:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep. Fixed Blade M38 Carcano Bayonet.

Orig metal scabbard wrapped in home made leather frog.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:44:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys, that makes perfect sense.  I was wondering why the handle had an open slot in the bottom.  Does anybody here speak Ethiopian by chance?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:52:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I believe the wooden grips are replacements. Presumably made by whoever crafted the leather scabbard cover.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top