Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2017 7:59:38 PM EDT
A local shop has a Win 70 in .30-06(1950 serial) with a Lyman Alaskan. The gun has had the stock messed with some and the barrel is chopped. The scope has the center post that has a crosscutting fine cross hair.

The question is what is a pre 64 action worth and what is the scope worth approximately? I might just use it for hunting for a time and/or do a build with it at some point. I don't know this market that well other than the scope should be legal in CMP sniper matches but I have no idea on value.

Thanks in advance.

Update with pic album
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:26:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Scope if nothing is wrong with it is worth $200-300. If it also has old style split horizontal 7/8 Redfield rings they are easily worth $100+ for a set for those

The value of a Pre 64 Model 70 is its condition and originality. You might get $150-200 for the action , better to sell whole rifle.

Buy the gun if cheap <$450 ; Keep scope and dump/flip the rifle for as much as you can .
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:40:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:01:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The action is worth more than $200 unless it has been drilled full of holes.

The scope isn't worth anything if it's broken, there's no one repairing them now.  I'd be surprised if it's usable now.
View Quote
The scope seemed fine(granted I didn't play with the turrets).

Being a 1950 gun isn't it supposed to be drilled and tapped on the receiver bridges and on the side for a Lyman iron sight? Cause that is where all the holes are. The holes in the side have capping screws.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:33:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:34:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Those holes are fine.  What I'm referring to are numerous holes drilled for scope mounts.

The barrel might be fine, too.  If it was cut off, cutting a new crown might be all that's needed to get it shooting again.  If the barrel is still 22 to 24 inches long, there's nothing wrong with that.  If it's 20 inches, it's still usable, but the velocity fall off will start to be obvious.

A rough stock is no bar, either.  If it's not missing chunks, then it can be reburbished to look better without much work.

Probably a great donor gun in the worst case.  I'm going to guess the price is steep despite the condition.
View Quote
But having four holes on the top of the receiver that are professionally done would be correct right?

I think the stock could be refinished. The issue is that they plugged that screw hole on the underside of the forearm with some wood so that will take a little extra work to correct. Also not sure whether the buttplate is original or not.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#6]
strip it for parts, seriously.

i would personally rebarrel it and put on a modern scope.

fitting a new stock is not hard. its actually pretty easy to do. you can buy unfinished ones for pretty cheap.

how much are they asking for it?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:19:10 PM EDT
[#7]
The Lyman Alaskan scope would have value to M1 guys, as it was used on M1C's, as the M73 scope. A Lyman Alaskan would make a great scope for a M1C needing a scope or Repo M1C...

Here is a link with some info on the Alaskan....so if you buy it, and have no use for the Alaskan, you can certainly get some of your money back selling the Alaskan...

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?157770-Ww11-lyman-alaskan-sniper-scope-correct
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:25:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
strip it for parts, seriously.

i would personally rebarrel it and put on a modern scope.

fitting a new stock is not hard. its actually pretty easy to do. you can buy unfinished ones for pretty cheap.

how much are they asking for it?
View Quote
500 not including tax.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:31:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The Lyman Alaskan scope would have value to M1 guys, as it was used on M1C's, as the M73 scope. A Lyman Alaskan would make a great scope for a M1C needing a scope or Repo M1C...

Here is a link with some info on the Alaskan....so if you buy it, and have no use for the Alaskan, you can certainly get some of your money back selling the Alaskan...

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?157770-Ww11-lyman-alaskan-sniper-scope-correct
View Quote
Are Buehler mounts of any note? The gun is set up the same as below but with the Buehler base and rounded rings.

(Edit to show the pic)
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I know the M1C used the Griffin & Howe mount and rings (I have a nice M1C repop with the G&H mount, actually installed by G&H), not sure what the 1903A4 used...but I am guessing the Buehler rings wouldn't be of interest to someone looking for the Lyman for putting on a military sniper, but not positive...
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:42:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Update.

I bought the gun a few weeks back but hadn't had time to shoot it or post about it. But it seems to group decently well. I am gonna sell off the scope as it would need to be shimmed to get a lower elevation than the turret can give me.(It's an inch high at 100yds)

Turns out the butt plate is original as well. The barrel is cut to 19 inches though.

One question is about the stock forend. It seems to have a plug in where the screw should be visible on the bottom between the checkered areas. Sorry about the crappy cell pics.

Stock 1

Stock 2

Any ideas what this stain or coating is and if it can be removed? Is there anyway to bring a little life back into the stock or should I not try to?

Stock 3

Overall pics for posterity.

Link Posted: 10/15/2017 11:21:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 12:00:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
From what I can see on my phone, someone used plastic wood on the stock.  The spot at the butt might be a big chip out.  I can't guess at the hole in the forearm.

Both are repairable.  The stock can be refurbished to excellent condition.

This stock is similar to another one posted here of about the same age, the drop in the butt is too great for a good cheek weld with a scope.
View Quote
How would you suggest refinishing it? The thing in the butt doesn't look like it has been filled in.

The scope setup works with the low scope as it is but with a 1 inch or 30m I would need a cheek rest.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 12:27:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 1:01:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Are Buehler mounts of any note? The gun is set up the same as below but with the Buehler base and rounded rings.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/html/dev_cdn/70/2676.jpg

(Edit to show the pic)
View Quote
@RedFox1911

Are these the mounts that are designed to fit the two tapped holes on the receiver bridge, and have an insert that fits into the clip slot on the rear receiver?
My pre-war Model 70 is in need of such a mount, IF they may be up for sale then please PM me!!
(Funnily enough I'd be installing an Alaskan on it too; got one very cheap at an arms fair in Sweden a few years back. Very nice period optics!)
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 5:24:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

@RedFox1911

Are these the mounts that are designed to fit the two tapped holes on the receiver bridge, and have an insert that fits into the clip slot on the rear receiver?
My pre-war Model 70 is in need of such a mount, IF they may be up for sale then please PM me!!
(Funnily enough I'd be installing an Alaskan on it too; got one very cheap at an arms fair in Sweden a few years back. Very nice period optics!)
View Quote
The gun is a 1950 that isn't clip slotted. I don't see any part of the mount that would be able to clip in like that. I thought that the base was connected by three screws but now I see it is only attached at the front receiver ring and I can actually move the scope around some. I'll let you know more when I actually take off the scope.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:05:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:19:51 AM EDT
[#18]
If you're talking about that small stain near the heel of the buttstock, I'd try a cotton cloth with distilled water plus elbow grease.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top