Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2017 4:57:40 PM EDT
So I just got my C&R, mainly so I can have an SBR here in IL, but I've got an itch to get an old bolt action rifle although I don't know a whole lot about them. What is your personal favorite? Thinking about a 1903 or 1917, enfield, or Mauser. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:45:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Mauser, k31 would be my first two picks
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Any certain type of Mauser you like best?

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mauser, k31 would be my first two picks
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:53:15 PM EDT
[#3]
1917 are excellent rifles that are not to horrible expensive as far as American military rifles are concerned.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:31:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I am partial to the old Yugos, if you don't want to shell out the bucks for a original Nazi mauser. Those old Yugos are one hell of a rifle for 300-400 bucks, you couldn't even manufacture one today for under 1500. 8mm Mauser, while not common, is not obsolete, and will hold its own with any major cartridge. I would recommend getting into reloading.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:28:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for the advice.

Quoted:
I am partial to the old Yugos, if you don't want to shell out the bucks for a original Nazi mauser. Those old Yugos are one hell of a rifle for 300-400 bucks, you couldn't even manufacture one today for under 1500. 8mm Mauser, while not common, is not obsolete, and will hold its own with any major cartridge. I would recommend getting into reloading.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:32:23 PM EDT
[#6]
May I ask how having a C&R FFL helps you get an SBR in IL?

Rob
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:47:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am partial to the old Yugos, if you don't want to shell out the bucks for a original Nazi mauser. Those old Yugos are one hell of a rifle for 300-400 bucks, you couldn't even manufacture one today for under 1500.
View Quote
I remember a decade ago the Nazi-marked K98k was $300-400 (for a RC) and the Yugos were $100. I had a couple Yugo Mausers, but now just a K98k (RC) with intact Waffenamts, bayonet, and a repro sling. Get what you really want. They're not making them anymore and the prices just keep climbing.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:54:02 AM EDT
[#8]
M1 Garand
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:35:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
May I ask how having a C&R FFL helps you get an SBR in IL?

Rob
View Quote
Do to stupid IL laws you have to have your C&R before you can send in your form to manufacture an sbr (I forgot what exact form it is). My take is it's just Chicago democrats trying to restrict our rights the only way they could.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:37:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I remember not too long ago the Nazi-marked K98k was $300-400 (for a RC) and the Yugos were $100. I had a couple Yugo Mausers, but now just a K98k (RC) with intact Waffenamts, bayonet, and a repro sling. Get what you really want. They're not making them anymore and the prices just keep climbing.
View Quote
You are right. I might as well just snatch up anything I see a good deal on. With the way I am I'll probably end up with a bit of everything anyway.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:44:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Yugo Mauser or Yugo sks.  Pistol wise radom p64.  Then gunbrokers for specific things you want.  M1917 was a good suggestion from up above.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:03:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yugo Mauser or Yugo sks.  Pistol wise radom p64.  Then gunbrokers for specific things you want.  M1917 was a good suggestion from up above.
View Quote
Get a Makarov for your first C and R pistol. Bigger, more rounds, far far better trigger. Ammo is still really cheap for them, too.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:27:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
I do like the looks of yugo mausers, they look similar to a k98 without the price haha. Isn't there some yugo k98s? Sorry for the possibly stupid question, kinda new to this stuff.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:31:11 AM EDT
[#14]
The best shooting C&R's are the Swedish Mausers, the Swiss K31 and the Garand. But you should get a Garand.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:53:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I really like my Brno Mauser.  

I don't really know much about it though.  It's clean and shoots great.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:47:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The best shooting C&R's are the Swedish Mausers, the Swiss K31 and the Garand. But you should get a Garand.
View Quote
I may get some hate for this but....... Garands don't really interest me. Especially for the price I see most of them at.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:14:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd concentrate on foreign imports first. They tend to appreciate faster than domestic weapons, and their availability is less predictable.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:51:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I may get some hate for this but....... Garands don't really interest me. Especially for the price I see most of them at.
View Quote
That's cool. Leaves more for the rest of us . . . The CMP has service grades for $730 right now, btw . . .
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:03:31 AM EDT
[#19]
The first thing you should do is send a copy of your FFL to Brownells so you get "dealer pricing" on everything :)
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:29:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The first thing you should do is send a copy of your FFL to Brownells so you get "dealer pricing" on everything :)
View Quote
I guess I hadn't seen that bit of info. Thank you!
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:51:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I guess I hadn't seen that bit of info. Thank you!
View Quote
The discount can be pretty significant for some items, especially when you combine it with their promo codes. I'm also an edge member so free shipping on everything. When you combine all of that Brownells is usually cheaper than all the other dealers surprisingly enough.

Here is my cart right now. Notice the blue price is the normal price with the dealer prices in green.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:08:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The discount can be pretty significant for some items, especially when you combine it with their promo codes. I'm also an edge member so free shipping on everything. When you combine all of that Brownells is usually cheaper than all the other dealers surprisingly enough.

Here is my cart right now. Notice the blue price is the normal price with the dealer prices in green.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/322543/Screenshot_2017-08-17-00-07-24-288849.JPG
View Quote
I like those discounts. Is there just a form to fill out on their website?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:56:34 PM EDT
[#23]
When you create an account, there used to be an option to select you are FFL. If that's not there, make the account and then contact customer service. 
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:55:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
When you create an account, there used to be an option to select you are FFL. If that's not there, make the account and then contact customer service. 
View Quote
Thank you!
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:36:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Get a Makarov for your first C and R pistol. Bigger, more rounds, far far better trigger. Ammo is still really cheap for them, too.
View Quote
Maks are good so are cz82's.  Yugo K98's are santized German K98's and a a good choice.  I like the M48 as well.  Seemed to have a little more kick to me but then I feed it a lot of turk 8mm.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Yugo Mausers- M1924, M24/47, M48, or the captured K98k's are excellent rifles. I would go for a K31 first, and get a Mauser- Yugo, Czech are much more affordable than German- second.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:06:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Thank you all for the advice! It is much appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 1:51:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Go on to Gunbroker and type C&R in the search field. You will find all kinds of stuff to choose from.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 6:41:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Don't forget that over 50 year old sporting guns are also C&R.  

So any gun made before 1967 qualifies.  Like all pre-64 Winchester Model 70s and 94s.  So was the Remington Model 600 l missed out on a couple weeks ago for $299.  

The first couple - three years of Colt SP1 AR15s are also C&R now.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 7:08:18 PM EDT
[#30]
What do you guys do when bidding on GunBroker if the seller won't ship to your C&R FFL, just a regular FFL?
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 11:37:50 PM EDT
[#31]
You should ask before bidding if they don't mention C&Rs in the auction details.  Shouldn't assume.

Rob
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 6:42:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What do you guys do when bidding on GunBroker if the seller won't ship to your C&R FFL, just a regular FFL?
View Quote
If the seller states they will not sell to a C&R holder then i dont bid and move on.  F those idiots for not knowing the law and removing over half their potential customers. If they are silent on the matter then i bid as normal and if i win, tell the seller the money and a signed copy of my 03 ffl will be sent within a day or so.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 7:44:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
That is why I used C&R in my search back when I still had one. If I found something that did not mention C&R I would ask the seller if they would ship to one. If they will not or did not answer I moved on.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 8:02:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If they are silent on the matter then i bid as normal and if i win, tell the seller the money and a signed copy of my 03 ffl will be sent within a day or so.
View Quote
Yeah that'd be tempting to try if the price is attractive.

I sometimes buy guns for duty use on there, but only a few dealers (usually medium-to-big businesses) will ship to a LE agency for duty use, even though it's right there on ATF's FAQ. I guess y'all have it a little easier, since you actually have a FFL which looks similar to what they normally see. I have this "weird" certification letter. lol

I presume there were more knowledgeable people closer to 1968, when FFLs were first implemented.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
You don't
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 1:47:24 PM EDT
[#36]
As others said a K-31 . This has been one of my favorite C&R rifles ,
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:06:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
As others said a K-31 . This has been one of my favorite C&R rifles ,
View Quote
Great rifles, but I wouldn't consider them 'entry level' C and R. They have some quirks, and shoot uncommon ammo. I really think a Yugo Mauser would be a better gun for a beginner. Totally familiar operation, and reasonably available ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top