Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2016 3:54:11 PM EDT
I found this New Model 1863 Sharps Carbine .50-70 Conversion today for $400.00

It's a early Sharps conversion using the original 6-groove .52 barrel (later Springfield conversions used a 3-groove .50 liner) so I don't expect much in the accuracy department though the bore is quite good.

It was a CW era Carbine (serial 78703) and has the period inspector's marks on the side of the barrel.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:01:38 PM EDT
[#1]
$400 ?  That's real nice for that price.  Try casting really soft bullets and use black powder to give it a good bump up into the rifling.  You might get lucky and be surprised.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:05:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$400 ?  That's real nice for that price.  Try casting really soft bullets and use black powder to give it a good bump up into the rifling.  You might get lucky and be surprised.
View Quote

I bet you could get a mold made that would give you basically a hollow base Minnie Ball type bullet..........
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 7:03:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I bet you could get a mold made that would give you basically a hollow base Minnie Ball type bullet..........
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I read of a mold that casts basically a heel type bullet that is supposed to work OK in the early conversions.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 9:04:10 PM EDT
[#4]
That is excellent for the price!  Heck...twice the price or more!

Rob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top