Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2015 10:42:33 PM EDT
So I'm making an 03A4 clone out of a D&T 03A3, I've made a few threads about it already. So now the rifle is done except for notching the stock, I bought a complete stock kit that's in great shape off of Ebay for $300 but I'm not sure if I'm willing to notch that stock or not so today I bought another stock (no metal or handguard) for $60, the stock isn't as nice but I'd feel more comfortable notching it sine it's not as nice (even though I'd need to spend $100+ for all of the metal plus upper handguard) but it won't look as nice so I'm confused.

Here's how it looks now with the matching stock

VS using the not as nice stock plus buying the handguard and the metal for it

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:41:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Notch the nice stock.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:13:48 AM EDT
[#2]
There's no way I would notch the nice one but that's just me.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:34:48 AM EDT
[#3]
You need a scant or C stock for the 03A4 look.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:51:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I can't find one for a reasonable amount
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:56:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your "nice" stock is a scant stock.  So notch that one.  The "ugly" stock is a straight stock, which is not correct for a M1903A4.  (Compare the grip area of the two stocks, and notice how the "nice" stock has a slightly built-up grip area where your palm rests.)

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:11:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I am doing the same thing. i picked up a scant stock off ebay for less than $100 with cartouches.

I have a drilled and tapped sporter 1903 as well.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:48:06 PM EDT
[#7]
If you're going to mangle a stock, mangle the scant stock. They have almost no collector value, as they're basically all replacement stocks.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:37:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

If you're going to mangle a stock, mangle the scant stock. They have almost no collector value, as they're basically all replacement stocks.
View Quote

Scant stock it is!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top