Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2015 11:30:28 AM EDT
I kinda sorta impulse bid on a Winchester 1917 that's been reworked and re-barreled with a High Standard barrel, curious if I could get a post-bid opinion. I haven't bid much so maybe you could save me from upping if I'm making a mistake.

I'm looking for a decent rifle that'll still be a shooter. Obviously matching isn't an issue as long as it is solid.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:13:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:33:32 PM EDT
[#2]
As long as your not the seller, I don't see why it would violate the rules.        

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:03:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Red sticky at the top says "No Links to Live Auctions!!!"
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:05:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol, I got here from Active Topics and hadn't seen that.  I guess too many guys were throwing up links to auctions.

How about reposting pictures of the item and letting everyone give their opinion here.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:07:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about just posting GB   Auction # 461797786  ?  I can find it with a # by just searching for it on GB's site.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:40:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

How about just posting GB   Auction # 461797786  ?  I can find it with a # by just searching for it on GB's site.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Item Number:463717564

Like I said, I already bid so if it's not a good example let me know, gently though please.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

Current bidding is not at all out of line. I bet it goes considerably higher.

A Winchester with a HS rebarrel (WW2 rework) should be OK. The ones to watch out for are rebarreled Eddystones, that might have cracked receiver rings.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:40:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

A Winchester with a HS rebarrel (WW2 rework) should be OK. The ones to watch out for are rebarreled Eddystones, that might have cracked receiver rings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I thought it looked good but I'm not much of an expert. I imagine it may go for more than I can spend but figured I'd try, especially considering the auction description. Maybe I'll get lucky. Thanks!

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:57:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Maybe I need to post up my two Eddystones.....I'd make a nice little profit if they went for that.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:37:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Best bet would be another website, I see more locked threads here than anywhere else.  

Snowman357
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:38:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I would ask to see a scan of the DCM paperwork. If the serial matches up you should be good to go. If it really is a DCM Winchester then I expect the cost to go way up before it ends.

SLYHUNTR, Eddystone prices around here are usually in the $600-700 range for nice examples. I would not be at all surprised to see that Winchester well over a thousand at auction end.

There is a Service Grade Winchester M1D sniper rifle at auction on the CMP site with no scope or mount. Present bid with 6+ days to go is almost $1900. Something about the Winchester name that makes people go nuts at auction.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:36:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Something about that receiver doesn't look right, as if it was welded back together. Look at the discoloration on both left and right sides roughly directly apart from each other.  Makes me skeptical. Also, it's obviously been parkerized at some point, whether at an arsenal or by somebody, if original it would be blued.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:50:50 AM EDT
[#13]
I noticed the discoloration as well but if it is a documented DCM rifle it will not be a reweld. If the only DCM provenance is the sellers word that it is a DCM rifle I would pass.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:26:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Something about that receiver doesn't look right, as if it was welded back together. Look at the discoloration on both left and right sides roughly directly apart from each other.  Makes me skeptical. Also, it's obviously been parkerized at some point, whether at an arsenal or by somebody, if original it would be blued.  
View Quote

I was curious about that and did some research, apparently it is a common artifact of the heat treat process that shows up when the rifles are reparked at arsenal. It seems very common on reworked 1917s, some even had their letter from the DCM or were personally bought by the owners from the DCM and still had the discoloration. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Thank you though, things like that were what I was worried about.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:19:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I was curious about that and did some research, apparently it is a common artifact of the heat treat process that shows up when the rifles are reparked at arsenal. It seems very common on reworked 1917s, some even had their letter from the DCM or were personally bought by the owners from the DCM and still had the discoloration. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd ask to see this "DCM" provenance.  Legitimate provenance. If I had a nickel for every time I had someone tell me this or that rifle is a DCM I'd have some gamblin' money in my pocket. People throw out the letters DCM like a punchline that's supposed to magically add something to the firearm. I'd also ask for better up close pics of the sides of the receiver.

There are many reactivated drill rifles showing up out there right now.  1903s, 1917s, Garands, etc.  Also, the last gunshow I was at we had a fellow bring by a 1911 he just bought, it had fresh parkerizing on it and was cleverly welded from scrap receiver parts. He had no idea. Always best to ask the questions up front and approach everything with caution.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top