Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2015 3:13:30 PM EDT
Anyone order one recently?

Just ordered one impulsively, didn't do much homework.

Curious about condition and import mark
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 3:25:02 PM EDT
[#1]
They stamp Germany and the name of importer on side of the slide.  It is not terrible.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 5:29:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been thinking about getting one myself.
Post some pics when you get it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:04:23 AM EDT
[#3]
It arrived. 1982 walther P1. Very good shape, slight wear to the finish on raised edges on the slide, otherwise almost like new.

Import mark engraved on the right side of the slide. Very visible but not a huge billboard either.

One mag, no accessories.

Range trip might have to wait a bit, busy and no great weather.

If my phone stops being stupid I might be able to upload a picture or two tonight.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:20:53 PM EDT
[#4]
So you were asking about a P1 not a P38. Personally I would have gotten a P38 over a P1 if they were in stock. You have the historical value, waffenamts, and steel frame over aluminum. Nothing about a near $400 single stack 9mm excites me unless there is some special history behind it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though. Just my take on P1s.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:25:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So you were asking about a P1 not a P38. Personally I would have gotten a P38 over a P1 if they were in stock. You have the historical value, waffenamts, and steel frame over aluminum. Nothing about a near $400 single stack 9mm excites me unless there is some special history behind it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though. Just my take on P1s.
View Quote

I thought I had ordered one of the postwar P38 marked examples, not the later P1. It was clear on their site, just me not reading and ordering on a whim.

I'd like to get a wartime P38 later.

Edited the title of the thread to avoid further confusion.

Assuming it functions well, I think I'll still be happy with it for $340.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:25:20 PM EDT
[#6]
So you were asking about a P1 not a P38. Personally I would have gotten a P38 over a P1 if they were in stock. You have the historical value, waffenamts, and steel frame over aluminum.
View Quote

This batch of German police surplus guns is all postwar. Some of them are marked "P38" but they all have the aluminum frames andf lack the wartime markings.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:58:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This batch of German police surplus guns is all postwar. Some of them are marked "P38" but they all have the aluminum frames andf lack the wartime markings.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
So you were asking about a P1 not a P38. Personally I would have gotten a P38 over a P1 if they were in stock. You have the historical value, waffenamts, and steel frame over aluminum.

The P38s that SOG has listed on their website (even though they're not in stock) say WWII P38. I'm not sure when they were imported but they were the real deal (historically speaking). I'm kicking myself for passing up an all-matching WWII P38 with intact marks at the local gun show (a few years back) for $675. I didn't know anything about them. Stood in a corner to google up some knowledge. Went back for the purchase and it was gone:(
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:30:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The P38s that SOG has listed on their website (even though they're not in stock) say WWII P38. I'm not sure when they were imported but they were the real deal (historically speaking). I'm kicking myself for passing up an all-matching WWII P38 with intact marks at the local gun show (a few years back) for $675. I didn't know anything about them. Stood in a corner to google up some knowledge. Went back for the purchase and it was gone:(
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I almost fent over a Walther P1 the other day for $350ish. Passed at the time. Was in my LGS and they had an all matching AC 44, no import stamps, pristine brown Bakelites, Waffenampts intact, a little rough around the edges but should clean up nicely.  They wanted $750, then I asked if they were negotiable. Worked them to $600+tax and what do you know? I fent. Even forgot to do this under my c&r until I got home, so it's 3days wait.

After the OP posted I looked at SOGs offerings...thus what renewed my love affair with searching for a P38.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:13:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I paid about $400 for an AC44 about 12 years ago, kinda stoked a P1 is available for $340, as a commercial aluminum P38 from the early 1990's (retail) was about $800.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:30:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I picked up two a couple years back. One online and one at Gander Mountain. Both excellent condition, one with the hex strengthening bolt and one without. I expect they were good choices for police sidearms. Lightweight, but in a good caliber. Accurate and reliable. They almost feel too light to me when they are not loaded. I do not shoot them much. I prefer all steel 9mm's like the Star B or my Hi Powers. I think you will like it.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:35:21 AM EDT
[#11]
my potato camera cooperated enough to get a few poor pictures.

Sorry for the low quality.

Have not cleaned it yet, some oil/residue dried on it in places.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top