Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2014 6:45:30 PM EDT
From Wideners: https://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=100000102&dir=700|701|1381

I don't know that I did enough research before I decided to jump on it and place the order. Maybe that's good though, because they didn't last long.

Am I getting something good, or does Wideners tend to be a bit optimistic with their product descriptions?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:18:59 PM EDT
[#1]
looks like nice RCs.. pretty good price if the bores are g+
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:28:35 PM EDT
[#2]

I should have bought a few of these when they were cheap.

I have one Yugoslavian capture K98, other than the serial number on the stock you can't even tell it's a capture. I bought it for $250 if I recall correctly, it's outward appearance is pretty good, but someone shot corrosive ammo through it and didn't clean it. The bore is pitted pretty bad in a few places.

Figured with a new stock it would make a good candidate for a reenactors rifle if I ever decide to do German.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:46:39 PM EDT
[#3]
yep i paid 220 for this one a decade or so ago from aim. 1937 S147

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:25:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

That thing is beautiful, I don't have any pics of mine handy but it's a 1944 byf.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:39:16 PM EDT
[#5]
CRAP OOS
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:47:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a "peened" K98 from them months ago which turned out to be a unpeened Weimar in excellent shape with a tight, bright bore.  No pitting, good stock.  Great shooter.

This run sounds the same, so maybe they found a crate of early guns in with their older stock.  Either way, I was really happy with it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:32:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Slightly better than average price for an average rifle.  I wouldn't be disappointed unless I was looking for a collector piece.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:47:20 AM EDT
[#8]
They have M44s for 169...not that bad of a price
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:49:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I wonder what Widener's staffing situation is like. Their webpage says "Please allow 7-10 days for orders to be processed and shipped," but I thought that might be some kind of holdover from last year's panic. The firearms industry isn't THAT hot and happening right now, so I guess I didn't actually think it would take this long.

Is Wideners that small of a company doing that much volume?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:10:18 PM EDT
[#10]
they all do that now to cover thier butts. Aim says 5-10 business days.. usually ships for me 1-2.

PS-

Great sig.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:09:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I got a text from the shop telling me my cosmoline is here.

I haven't picked it up yet, but I did look it over to see what I got, and I'm not quite sure what the story is.

The rifle was made in 1936 at S/42 (Mauser Oberndorf). It has the Weimar eagles stamped on it.

The stock is stamped with a SN that matches the receiver, but the stamps on everything else mis-match. The bolt and the bottom metal are electro-penciled with the SN. The rifle has been crudely finished with some kind of black paint / coating. The electro-pencil and the paint scream Russia to me, but there's no X stamp, and the eagle stamps are intact.

There's a couple design features that strike me as odd, also. The front sight has no hood, and there's no cuts in the front sight post to accommodate one. The follower has been profiled to allow the bolt to close on empty, but it didn't really look like it had been ground down.

From what I could see, the bore actually looked pretty damn good, but I'll need to get it cleaned out to see for sure.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:29:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The stock is stamped with a SN that matches the receiver, but the stamps on everything else mis-match.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The stock is stamped with a SN that matches the receiver, but the stamps on everything else mis-match.

The stock was stamped to match by the Russians.  It will likely not be the stock that was originally on the rifle.

The electro-pencil and the paint scream Russia to me, but there's no X stamp, and the eagle stamps are intact.

Not all Russian Capture K98ks had the crossed rifle X stamp added, and not all had the swastikas defaced.  Your rifle is a RC K98k.

There's a couple design features that strike me as odd, also. The front sight has no hood, and there's no cuts in the front sight post to accommodate one.

That is correct.  Sight hoods were not used on early K98ks, like yours.  They didn't show up until early 1940, and were only gradually phased in at that point by all the various K98k manufacturers, so the slots in the front sight bases for the hoods weren't universal until 1941ish.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:33:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought mine at J&G about 8 years ago. BYF 43, with some nice Waffenamt's. I think I paid less than $300. It was a Russian Capture, too. Sounds like you got a nice piece, I'd love to see some pictures.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#14]
They sold out quick, early S-Codes are generally more valuable then the mid War Rifles (41-43).  The problem with most of the RC k98 rifles being sold now
is bore condition, most will have a dark bore with some pitting. Strongly suggest buying in person as apposed to purchasing from internet vendors. (if possible)

Sadly the Hey-Day of the RC passed 6-7 years ago when they were selling for $200-300.

HDH,
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 10:15:18 PM EDT
[#15]
It's home.

And a few of the oddities...

I'm not sure what's up with this:

Here's the follower:

And are these SS marks on the bottom metal?
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 9:56:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Any thoughts?

Is that price middle of the road, or did I do alright?
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 10:03:41 AM EDT
[#17]
You paid market value.  $450ish shipped is about the average going rate for nice RC K98ks.  You can still sometimes find them for $300-$400, but the average price is creeping up.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 11:20:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You paid market value.  $450ish shipped is about the average going rate for nice RC K98ks.  You can still sometimes find them for $300-$400, but the average price is creeping up.
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:22:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I meant to type a range report a couple weeks back when I took it out...

The rifle handled well, and I'm looking forward to spending some more time behind it. My groups weren't particularly awesome, but it was my first time shooting it, and conditions were on the crappy side.

There was one issue of sorts... I don't know if it was the follower, the ammo (Romanian steel), or something else, but I found getting rounds four and five into the rifle to be unusually tough to load. I'd like to get that figured out.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:28:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:01:14 PM EDT
[#21]
The romanian steel ammunition is notoriously out of spec. I had to return 180 rounds to sportsman's guide because they wouldn't chamber in my Gehwer98
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top