Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2014 7:44:24 AM EDT
A while back I got a call on a Black Friday from the local shop and I was out the door. My buddy at the pawn shop called and said he had two old Mausers that he just pulled and was about to put out. He said one was a sporter and the other was still in military dress.
When I got there he set two rifles on the counter, an Arisaka that had been hacked up and a K98. We shot the bull a little and I told him that the Arisaka was worth about $40 to $50 but , I had no use for it.
The K98 was a mix master with a stamped rear barrel band and floorplate. The bore was dirty and the stock was so so. It was not a RC but it appeares to have spent a little time in the hands of some place that did not like the German proof marks, Most had peen stamped over.
I told him that I would be willing to give him $100 for the Mauser.  He looked at the rifle and said OK.  

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 7:53:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Is that a Yugo stock? Israeli? No bolt take down disk.

In any situation, that's a great score. How did the bore clean up?
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 8:09:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice score.  Those Balkan Capture K98s are a mixed bag.  They haven't been refinished like the Russian Capture K98s, which is nice.  But they tend to be in rougher condition, and the German markings are usually crudely defaced with prominent chisel marks.  Still, you did very well at $100.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is that a Yugo stock? Israeli? No bolt take down disk.
View Quote

Nope.  It's German.  It's just a late war (1944/45) stock, which has had a 1940 K98k action installed.  

Starting in 1944, the Germans changed the K98k manufacturing process to omit unnecessary features and streamline production.  These were known as "Kriegsmodell" (war model) K98ks.  The bolt takedown disk was one of the omitted features.  Instead, there was a simple hole drilled through the bottom of the cupped buttplate, which served the same bolt takedown purpose.  You can see that in the last photo in the OP.

Other Kriegsmodell features included a lack of a bayonet lug, no provision for a cleaning rod, no capture screws, barrel bands that were retained by screws instead of a bandspring, and a phosphated finish instead of bluing, among a few other less noticable changes.

Most German rifle factories never fully incorporated all of the Kriegsmodell changes to the production process by the time the war ended in 1945.  So you will often see late war K98ks with some standard and some Kriegsmodell features.  Rifles that kept some of the original K98k features while including a few of the later changes are known as "Semi-Kriegsmodell" rifles.  The stock in the OP is from a "Semi-Kriegsmodell" rifle, since it lacks the bolt takedown disc but retains the bayonet lug and bandspring.

Here's a full Kriegsmodell K98k:
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 8:49:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Niiiice
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 8:53:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Romanian capture by the look of the excessive peening.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top