Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2013 8:09:20 PM EDT
The LGS has a M38 for $300.  The rifle is in good shape cosmetically.  The bore is clean and bright with good rifling.  The cosmoline has been removed, and bolt cycles smoothly (for a mosin). All in all it looks like a fine specimen on an M38.  I have a 91/30 and a Type 53 so an M38 would be a nice addition to the family...

I checked online and Buds is doing M38s for $254 shipped to my C&R...  but then I'd be taking a chance on whatever quality rifle comes out of the chute, and have to remove the cosmoline myself.

I'm leaning towards paying the extra fifty bucks + tax at the LGS, especially as M38s have been drying up of late.  Then again, I also can't believe I'm considering spending $300 on a Mosin.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Fo
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 10:00:44 PM EDT
[#2]
What year and is it in a M38 stock of M44 Stock?
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 10:22:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  If its in an M38 stock, get it, if it isn't, I personally wouldn't pay more than $250 at this point in time.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 1:30:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This.  If its in an M38 stock, get it, if it isn't, I personally wouldn't pay more than $250 at this point in time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sounds about right to me as well.

Link Posted: 9/7/2013 6:38:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:11:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the advice!

The rifle had an M38 stock in excellent condition (no dings/scratches/cracks) and upon repeat inspection a nice bore.  I FO'd.  

Now to get it out to the range.  I hope POA = POI; the mosins that shoot high are obnoxious.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 12:02:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks for the advice!

The rifle had an M38 stock in excellent condition (no dings/scratches/cracks) and upon repeat inspection a nice bore.  I FO'd.  

Now to get it out to the range.  I hope POA = POI; the mosins that shoot high are obnoxious.
View Quote

Nice dude!  Pics or it isn't real

In my experience, the carbines all shoot high, but maybe that's just me.  You can buy replacement sights to fix that
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 12:05:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I hope POA = POI; the mosins that shoot high are obnoxious.
View Quote

The POI issues on 91/30s and M44s typically are related to the barrel harmonics from the bayonet. The M38s never had bayonets, so that is not typically an issue.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 2:19:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks for the advice!

View Quote

Strange. I don't see any pics.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:00:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Pics!  The m38 was my favorite bolt-action carbine until I got a Enfield No5
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:30:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks for the advice!

View Quote

Sounds like you did good. Congratulations!

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:08:24 PM EDT
[#12]
You said bore is nice, is it counter-bored?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top