Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2013 9:07:47 PM EDT
I just ended up with this Weaver 330 scope.  Was wondering if there was any way to find out if it was used in the military.  There is no serial number anywhere, which leads me to believe probably not.  It's a cool little scope, and remarkably clear image.

Link Posted: 6/22/2013 9:55:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I do believe that is for a genuine 1903A4.  

I could be wrong.  

How much did you pay for it?
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 4:52:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the Poyer book here and I think it is a commercial scope as the book keeps mentioning crosshairs when talking about how they were sighted in. Yours has a post only but keep in mind I am not overly knowledgeable on these so if there is an expert that actually owns one please correct me. It would work for a clone at least.
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 10:21:30 AM EDT
[#3]
It's "considered" "possibly" correct for a very early 1903A4. Though many collectors dispute it. The very first ones supposedly used commercial Weaver 330's with a tapered posts as you have there. It's not super rare, as it is a commercial scope and not as desirable as the USGI marked M73B1 version.

According to Clark Campbell ("The '03 Springfield Era", 2003) the earliest A4's were equipped with commercial scopes either the "330C" with cross wire reticles or the "330 Scope - M.8" with tapered post. Throughout A4 production the delivery of telescopic sights was major problem. In order to allow Remington to get the first few thousand rifles out the door Weaver scrounged all their unsold inventory. Some of these scopes may have been returned to Weaver in El Paso where they were converted to the "Type 1" configuration.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:38:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Do the screw holes on the Redfield mount show evidence of staking? If so then that is an A4 mount and the scope could be correct. The 330 was the civilian version of the M73B1 and M8 scopes which were not as plentiful in production.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:25:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Doesn't look like a A4 mount.

The scope looks like a commercial and not mil but you should get a pretty penny for it as 330's esp with that redical are in high demand right now with everyone building 03A4 clones. The Chinese repros are $300 ish +.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:13:33 PM EDT
[#6]
No evidence of staking.  I think I'm going to just clean it up real well and toss it on Ebay.  Funny how what I thought was just a cheap 22lr scope turns out to be something so expensive.  Also, I'm frankly just astonished at how clear the glass is.  I wouldn't have expected that from such an old scope.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:59:28 AM EDT
[#7]
My A4's (used to have 2, now only 1, unfortunately) have parkerized bases.  I don't recall them saying "redfield" on them but then I haven't shot the remaining rifle but once in the last 30 years or so.  The scope is a Weaver 330 with very thin cross hairs.  The scope is parkerized as well.  The rings are not parkerized.  They are blued.  The other rifle came with 1" Weaver scope on it with a horizontal cross hair and vertical post similar to the one in your scope.  That scope is blued, I still have it.  It is a 2.5 power.

There are companies out there converting 03A3's into simulated 03A4's.  The demand for the scopes/bases, etc. even similar ones is high.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top