Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2013 7:12:42 AM EDT
I'm seeking a little input and advice from those in the know.  I currently have the opportunity to buy two interesting Mauser rifles.

One is an Israeli K98 .22 trainer (FN, w/ original barrel...not the Remington barrel) in good to very good condition, with rack number and ".22" on the stock, with correct sling and bayonet.  The other is a Persian 49 Carbine 8mm, in excellent condition, all matching, with bayonet.  I don't know if the carbine is Persian mfg or Czech mfg.

I know a little bit about these, but I haven't found too much info on values.  I can get either one for the same price (about $550 before taxes, fees, etc.).  I know the best option, and everyone's favorite including mine, is to get both...but given a choice and/or limited budget...which one would you get, and why?  Any further information would be appreciated as well.  I apologize for no pics, but the guns are not mine yet.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 7:40:31 AM EDT
[#1]
IDF Trainer hands down.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 7:42:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
IDF Trainer hands down.

Yeah, I've never even seen pictures of one of those, to say nothing about actually seeing one in person.

I have to think they're more rare than the Persians.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:01:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Hmmm I myself would buy the Persian carbine but I've been looking for a cheap one for awhile.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:23:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
IDF Trainer hands down.

Yeah, I've never even seen pictures of one of those, to say nothing about actually seeing one in person.

I have to think they're more rare than the Persians.

I agree - the Israeli K98 .22 trainer
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:47:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Israeli
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:57:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Israeli

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 11:02:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

IDF Trainer hands down.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 6:37:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I say trainer too.  $550 for the Persian M49 is full retail price for them, but would be very reasonable for an all matching Czech made one (called M30) with the bayonet.  Since it is all matching, the chances of it being a Czech carbine are small.

To identify a Czech made vs. Iranian, the Czech made ones should say Brno is Farsi script at the end of the text on the left side of the receiver.  Here's a pic of what "Brno" looks like.

Additionally, the Czech carbine has a few unique features including a saddle ring and a bolt knob that has a flat and knurled underside.  The Iranian made carbines will generally look cruder overall, have a more yellow looking stock typically, and have round bolt knobs.  (parts being swapped around are common, same with re-arsenal force matching on them, so an M30 could have an M49 bolt matched to it and vice-versa, obviously this would lessen the value a bit due to non-originality)  I could go into a lot further details about how to tell them all apart, but it would take a while and quite a few pictures.  Here's my all original M30:

There is also an Iranian made M30 carbine that is even more rare than the later M49 or Czech made M30.  It'll looks very similar to the M49, but will have an earlier date (which is found in the middle of the script on the left side of the receiver).  M49's are typically dated 1328, but M30's are usually dated 1309 or sometimes 1317 (1317 is the latest I've ever seen on a Czech made Persian Mauser).

If it is an Iranian M30 or an all matching Czech M30, try as hard as you can to get both.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 3:58:59 AM EDT
[#9]
ForFreedomWeFight, thank you for all of the good info! I will check on the Persian today and see which one it is...update to follow.

By the sounds of it, the Israeli trainer is by far the favorite. It appears to be the rarer and more valuable (also better priced) of the two. If I can snag both for a good enough price, then I will do that. If not, then I will try for the Israeli .22. I think it would go nicely with my Israeli K98 7.62 too

I'd like to hear more info if anyone else has something to add. Thank you all.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:02:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:02:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Post in tacked thread
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top