Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2012 10:55:52 AM EDT
My father picked up his first Mosin the other day. Included with the gun he got a bayonet, tool kit, sling, a few bullet pouches, and this silver looking canteen thing.

What is this?

My guess is its a container meant to hold cleaning oil or something?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:02:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine seem to be containers for spare cosmoline.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:05:22 AM EDT
[#2]
One side held an alkaline solvent for neutralizing corrosive primer residue; the other side held oil.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:26:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
One side held an alkaline solvent for neutralizing corrosive primer residue; the other side held oil.

Ahh ok. I knew it had to hold some liquid that was important for cleaning or maintenance.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:04:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Bingo.  All of mine are still bagged up full of grease in my shed
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:10:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Mine seem to be containers for spare cosmoline.

Ain't that the truth.  I had one that was completely full.  Like right up to the top full.  I left it that way.  Too much work to clean it out..........especially since they're useless for anything besides a display piece.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:06:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Oil / Cleaner bottle is best source of finest Soviet vintage cosmoline for keep preservation of glorious rifle of Great Patriotic War! Is not for throw away!

Once you've melted all the cosmoline out and carefully stored it in your Soviet Cosmoline tin, the bottle can be properly filled and put with all the other accoutrements and spam cans of stripper-clipped ammo in your crate of Mosin-Nagants. The left side with the "W" looking letter is for the alkaline bore cleaner (Ballistol would do nicely), and the "H" side is for gun oil. Remember it as "W for water-based".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top