Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2012 2:52:26 AM EDT
I have a dilema.  I have a Savage 1907 pistol and I am on the fence to keep it or get rid of it for my growing Enfield addiction.  Is the Savage worth keeping around in regards to collectability ? I am really torn if i should keep this pistol , i mean on one hand it is a very interesting design. I have heard it referred to as a art decco pistol, which makes me want to be interested.  The other hand is that i am not really into pocket pistols.  What says the hive? Is the 1907 a gem , or should i send her down the road?
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 3:43:47 AM EDT
[#1]
do a Net search to see what they are going for in the condition you have.....however I have been offered a few over the years for free to $20 and passed each time (they were pretty beat with 0% finish).  they are neat guns, but of real interest to only a smallish collector group.  I haven't heard of anybody refurbing the Savage for modern daily use like I have with the Colt pocket pistols.

advntrjnky
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 4:44:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I also have a Savage, and I think it is a pretty neat piece of history, and a good example of early 20th century gun designs.  I am keeping mine.

However, I don't feel the need to trade it for some thing else, and I don't have a pressing need for cash right now.  If I had to sell it now, I suspect I could replace it in a few years without any trouble or spending way too much money.

So in the end, it is your decision, and whatever you decide will be right.  If you would rather have another Enfield than a Savage, go for it.

Of course, didn't Savage also make Enfields?
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 11:20:58 AM EDT
[#3]
ohhh damn.  So , i am now keeping the 1907 (which was refinished) and now looking for a Savage Enfield.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 1:28:48 PM EDT
[#4]
you can get an insert to shoot .32acp out of your future Savage .303brit.....that way you can have a "matched" pistol caliber pistol/ rifle

advntrjnky

Quoted:
ohhh damn.  So , i am now keeping the 1907 (which was refinished) and now looking for a Savage Enfield.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:12:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
you can get an insert to shoot .32acp out of your future Savage .303brit.....that way you can have a "matched" pistol caliber pistol/ rifle

advntrjnky

Quoted:

haha that would be interesting.  Looked up savage enfields, little pricey, but i am going to keep my eye out.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:21:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

advntrjnky

Quoted:

haha that would be interesting.  Looked up savage enfields, little pricey, but i am going to keep my eye out.

I have a Savage 1907/1910 and it is a nice little shooter.  I just wish that there were extra mags available at more reasonable prices.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:21:02 PM EDT
[#7]
You people are a bad influence! I never shoulda clicked on this thread.
I had to buy a Savage 1907 to go with my Savage No. 4 Mk I*
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:33:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got two of these great little pistols.  While not the greatest collectibles out there, they have a fascinating history.

The .45 version was the last remaining entry during the government trials that resulted in the 1911 being chosen for the U.S. Army.

Buffalo Bill and Bat Masterson both owned one.  Here's my grandad's:

Link Posted: 11/24/2012 2:15:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a French Contact (1915 delivery date w/lanyard loop & loaded chamber indicator) along with a 30s vintage Audley pocket safety holster. Yeah it's a re-blue. You can tell if there is blue on the inside of the slide/frame as the orgional is in the white on the inside.

I gave $150.00 for it about a year ago in a private sale. Deal of the Day as it's the military issued version. The only difference is the loaded chamber indicator (indicators were often not installed  in civilian pistols even though there is a cut for one) and lanyard loop.

I got lucky a month or so back and found a extra mag for it in a lot of gun stuff I bought. Extra factory mags ain't exactly cheap these days.

It's a great shooter. Not my best effort in the pic (first outing) but the tiny sights and my old eyes don't help. I've gotten much better with it. It even feeds Winchester Silvertips just fine.

It was the first double stack mag production pistol. I would not part with mine as it was WW-1 military use. Small autos and grenades were often used in trench clearing operations rather than the long rifles of the day.

Love this 1914 ad.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top