Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2012 3:05:41 PM EDT
I have an opportunity to buy this is it worth having ? What do I need to know ?
BTW: It needs a stock can you find them ?

Link Posted: 6/28/2012 3:31:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Boyd's gunstocks offers stocks for both the 12 and 20 for $75.

I don't know about that model, personally I'd grab it, but then again I'm partial to old guns.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 3:41:11 PM EDT
[#2]
There was a recall on some of those, if that one isn't a recalled one   IM me and I'll get you one.

ETA   the recall involved the bolt coming out, not the stock cracking
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 3:54:39 PM EDT
[#3]
the gun is maybe worth 50-100 if it was in good shape. They were all made by mossberg and branded out. Good guns will last forever but you will spend more on the stock than the gun is worth. if you plan on hunting with them they are great, if you plan on shooting skeet with them the people at the skeet range will put there noses in the air. Most bolt action shotguns are hated by shotgun enthusiasts. Personally I love em.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 6:00:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a model 20 that was converted to a riot gun at some point and it's a hell of a nice shotgun. Not worth all that much, but it sits behind my door for close encounters and is great in that capacity.

I might be tempted to take a crack at fixing that stock. It looks like it might be possible.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 6:58:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I will start my offer at 20.00 and go from there... I dont see a stock for the 583.16
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 12:55:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
the gun is maybe worth 50-100 if it was in good shape. They were all made by mossberg and branded out. Good guns will last forever but you will spend more on the stock than the gun is worth. if you plan on hunting with them they are great, if you plan on shooting skeet with them the people at the skeet range will put there noses in the air. Most bolt action shotguns are hated by shotgun enthusiasts. Personally I love em.

Nope - Hi-Standard (583 was the Sears code for High Standard).

They started with 583.1 (12ga), 583.2 (16 ga), and 583.3 (20 ga).  Next year they just kept the number sequencing - 583.4, 583.5, 583.6, etc.  The stocks for the same gauges are the same.

The recall was for 12ga guns only and was for a "broken bolt".  This was misleading - the bolt proper has a bolt stop in the form of a screw that engages the receiver.  If that set screw (or "bolt" to lawyers) was loose, rapidly cycling the action would break it, allowing the shooter to pull the bolt proper out from the action and bonk themselves on the nose, which was apparently the actual lawsuit at the root of the recall.

Here's where it gets funny: The recall offered $125 if you sent in the bolt, which was more than the gun was worth.  So gunsmiths and gunshops all sent these in and collected the $125.  So now there are thousands of these on the market being sold for cheap as "missing bolt" - only bolts for them are rare as hen's teeth.

And even better: the recall was ONLY for 12ga, not the others - despite them being the exact same design.

I bought 2, one in 16ga and one in 20ga for slug guns - here in the People's republic of Maryland it's slugs only where we hunt.  The real attraction was the tube magazine - no removable (read "lose-able") magazine.  Shorten up the barrel, open up to cylinder, and add some ghost ring sights and it should be good to go.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 1:08:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have a model 20 that was converted to a riot gun at some point and it's a hell of a nice shotgun. Not worth all that much, but it sits behind my door for close encounters and is great in that capacity.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/tep0583/JC%20Higgins/DSCF2955.jpg

I might be tempted to take a crack at fixing that stock. It looks like it might be possible.

I'm pretty sure the solid frame Model 20 was made by Hi Standard.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 12:19:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/tep0583/JC%20Higgins/DSCF2955.jpg

I'm pretty sure the solid frame Model 20 was made by Hi Standard.

You, sir, would be correct.

I meant to mention that, but forgot to. I can't speak to the bolt-action models, but the Model 20 was built by High Standard. The pump action on this shotgun is very slick by design. It's easily better than most 12 gauges I've ever shot. The shotgun itself has a very old-school solid feel to it. I was looking for an inexpensive riot-style shotgun and found this and some Chinese made thing that warned against steel (I think) shot on the side of the receiver. The JC Higgins had far better fit and finish. Side by side, the difference in quality was obvious.

A lot of people say they're some of the best "sleeper" shotguns out there and I have to agree. I really like this shotgun.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 10:54:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Love mine!   The barrel was already cut down when I got it.  $90 OTD.  I use it as a truck gun mostly, but I have had it out for doves once or twice.  They usually go for around $100 or so here.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 6:10:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Love mine!   The barrel was already cut down when I got it.  $90 OTD.  I use it as a truck gun mostly, but I have had it out for doves once or twice.  They usually go for around $100 or so here.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c202/kennyrock12/Mossberg2.jpg

That looks almost identical to one I inherited from Dad.  

The recall was something about the bolt coming out when cycling, not firing, IIRC.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 11:36:11 AM EDT
[#11]
I bought it for 40.00 now I need to find a stock. Will the Boyds stock work on mine they do not have my model number listed.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 2:29:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I bought it for 40.00 now I need to find a stock. Will the Boyds stock work on mine they do not have my model number listed.

Don't mess with the Boyd's stock. Go onto Gunbroker (or EvilBay for that matter) and get a good used one. They are generally available, especially for the 12 ga, due to the above mentioned recall. You are looking for a JC Higgins Model 10 - don't forget to search on "Higgens" as well. Also search for "583". You are looking for 583.1, .4, .7, .10, .13...etc. Basically any 12 ga of that series. Do *not* mistake it for the next model which was an upgraded design - their model numbers were 583.XXXX (4 digits).

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 6:30:35 AM EDT
[#13]
If somebody locates one please let me know...
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:01:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Send me an IM. I might be able to help you out, but won't know for a few weeks until I get out to my dads to pull it out. I have an old shotgun that looks like that, missing the bolt but the stock is in decent shape, no cracks that I remember. If it's the same I will only charge you one billion dollars, lol. Nah, we can work out a trade or something if it will work for you. It would make me feel good to see an old gun made shootable again.

Toad
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:32:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Send me an IM. I might be able to help you out, but won't know for a few weeks until I get out to my dads to pull it out. I have an old shotgun that looks like that, missing the bolt but the stock is in decent shape, no cracks that I remember. If it's the same I will only charge you one billion dollars, lol. Nah, we can work out a trade or something if it will work for you. It would make me feel good to see an old gun made shootable again.

Toad

Missing bolt?  I'm betting it's a match - Dad probably took the $125. Good to see the rest being put to good use.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 11:16:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Toad

Man that sound great ! I hope that it is the same but I will try not to get to excited... Shoot me an im when you find it...

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:49:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Toad

Missing bolt?  I'm betting it's a match - Dad probably took the $125. Good to see the rest being put to good use.

No, my step moms great uncle left her the guns and she gave them to me. The only one really worth anything was a Danish Krag that I sold to fund a few other C&R purchases. The rest are old shotguns and a Swiss Vetterli.

Foreman, I might go out there this weekend and I will see what model it is for you and take some pics.

Toad

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 8:06:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Stock found thanks buhog7979 !
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 7:29:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Stock found thanks buhog7979 !

Glad to hear that!! The one I have is a JC Higgins, but is a 20ga. model 5833.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 8:43:23 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a JC Higgins bolt-action shotgun in 16ga.  One extractor is broken and the plastic/rubber buttstock pad was completely melted and had to be removed.

Other than being 16ga it seems to be a pretty solid shotgun.  I don't have any use for a 16ga shotgun, but I'm considering picking up a few rifled slugs and having myself a(n admittedly impractical) .663 rifle.

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 12:08:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have a JC Higgins bolt-action shotgun in 16ga.  One extractor is broken and the plastic/rubber buttstock pad was completely melted and had to be removed.

Other than being 16ga it seems to be a pretty solid shotgun.  I don't have any use for a 16ga shotgun, but I'm considering picking up a few rifled slugs and having myself a(n admittedly impractical) .663 rifle.

That's what I'm doing - I have a 16ga for my daughter and a 20ga for my son.  MD is slugs only (where I live at least) and the tube mag means nothing to lose.
Link Posted: 8/29/2012 3:33:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Received used stock on Monday. I will post update when i install it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#23]
cant wait to see it this thread has really made me want one
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top