Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2012 11:57:21 AM EDT
I'll post more later is anyone is interested....

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 12:02:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I love Martini Henrys!

It looks like it's in good shape.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 4:03:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh, holy heck, an actual Mk. I! More pics please!
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 4:09:11 PM EDT
[#3]
That wood looks gorgeous.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 4:09:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Verrrrrry coool!
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 6:26:15 PM EDT
[#5]
All the info you can give man! All of it!
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:16:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Oh, holy heck, an actual Mk. I! More pics please!

Yes, please.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 6:49:31 AM EDT
[#7]
OK guys.

I picked this up this weekend.  Ther seller was advertising it as a "Martini Enfield Mk I" rifle with a 2 included bayonets.  It was clear to me that it was a second pattern Mk I Martini-Henry.  2100 of these were sent to Canada in 1874, and they were immediately stored.  They were not used until 1885, and then used only for a short time before being stored.  They were occasionally lent out to shooting clubs, in the 20th century, and were eventiually surplused in '50's and 60's.  In England, the second pattern Mk I's were almost all converted to the 3rd "approved" pattern after that pattern was approved in 1874 (this pattern replaced the bronze hinge pin with the familiar steel split pin).  Unaltered 2nd pattern Mk I's are very rare, and it appears that the vast majority of the unaltered 2nd pattern Mk I's come from the guns sent to Canada. This rifle shows no sign of ever having had the safety installed which makes it a "late 2nd pattern" rifle, which is confirmed by the date of the barrel (1/74).  All the Mk I's sent to Canada known so far have an 1873 receiver date and a 1/74 barrel date, and this one is no different, so it's VERY likely from that group). Of course, most Mk I's of any kind were ;ater converted to MK II's, like the Mk I/II I posted earlier (it was probnably a third pattern Mark I converted to a mark II).

This one is in excellent condition.  The wood is solid with no cracks, no rot and very nice patina/finish.  It has some obvious handling dings, but not gouges, and its a bit dirty, but nothing a little TLC won't clear off.  The buttstock has an amazingly clear Enfield cartouche, Mark I  The barrel retains almost all of its orginal blue/brown finish.  Thwere is some wear at the muzzle from mounting/dismouting a bayonet, though this bright area has a bit of patina, so that happened some time ago.  The bore is shiny and crisp.  This rifle was fired very little over its life.  The receiver retains almost all of its finish on the right wide, though the left side shows either a bit of wear, or someone's misguided  attempts to clean it.  The keeper screw for the cocking indicator was a bit mangled and the  keeper screw for the hinge pin was actually broken, though enough of it remained to function.  These will need to be replaced.  Folks need to learn to use properly sized screwdrivers! Inside teh receiver shows the only signs of neglect.  There was some fresh rust blooming in the receiver, but it sppeared to be recent, and it brushed away easily using a bronze brush, and there was no sign of pitting.  I've completed cleaning the internals, and the parts looks almost new, with no apparent wear, and only a bit of age patina.  The chamber cleaned out to bright and shiney (compared to my Mk I/II with a "plum" patina). You can see that it has the Mk I style two-piece trigger and the different tumbler, that was replaced in the Mark II.  It has the strengthed striker introduced with the 2nd pattern and thw breech block is marked with the "S" and "B" associated with the Mk I breech blocks modified to use the strengthed striker.    

All parts have a matching serial number (I3601).... receiver, barrel, trigger assembly, lever, breech block, rear sight.

OK.. pictures.  It was wet and snowy when I took the pics, so it's just kinda sucky indoor lighting.  Sorry.

Overall beauty shot:

Receiver marked Crown/VR/ENFIELD/1873/acceptance mark/I.

Buttstock cartouche

checkered buttplate

Broken hinge pin keeper screw

Mark I trggier and tumbler

Trgger group as installed.  Note how it's different from a Mark II group

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:49:37 AM EDT
[#8]
very nice! a bought a bunch of martinis while deployed in Afghanistan but none would come close to the condition yours is. I load reformed 24ga cbc brass cases with 60 gr ffg, remainder of case filled with cream of wheat and a 420 grain 45-70 lead bullet lubed with spg- shooting with the old Afghan guns of 4-6 inches at 100 yards but about 12 inches high with sight set at lowest setting
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 10:16:35 AM EDT
[#9]
That is a gorgeous rifle! Thanks for sharing it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:49:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I HATE you! Im still literally KICKING my own ass for not picking up one of the two .303 long lever Martinis at the local shop 10 years ago. EX wife whined and I decided we really did need to go on the vacation we planned. Now after geting rid of her I wish I bought the darned gun (which Id still have) got rid of the vacation and maybe sped our divorce along. Id have got the gun out of it and not a lame vacation and 3 more years of marriage
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top