Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2012 5:05:44 AM EDT
I've always had the desire for one but dont have any ammo for it so I always had it on the back burner.  Now, I found a fellow with one that seems to be in 90% condition and all original (as he claims).  I've handled it in person and it does look like one of the nicest enfields I've handled.  He wants $700 for it but I think I can get him down a bit.  Are certain makers more desirable than others?  Is this ballpark figure ok?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:10:49 AM EDT
[#1]
That's a little high, IMO.  I wouldn't go over $600 for one in really good shape, and I'd be looking for more like $500-550.  Make sure it's not a fake.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:46:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I was all set to pay $350 a few years back at the gun store, but my dad talked me out of it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:56:18 AM EDT
[#3]
450-550. Wouldn't it be nice to have some hindsight and have an C&R license back in the earlier 2k's?

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:27:50 AM EDT
[#4]
$450-500 TOPS for one in pristine shape with no import marks.

My Dad just bought a very nice one for $385.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:58:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Make sure it not a fake Santa Fa arms made 1000s of Mk 5 out of Mk 4 in the 60s Remove the hand guard and check for the lightening cuts on the top of the barrel
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:27:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Though a converted No 4 will probably be more accurate due to the lack of the lightning cuts.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:08:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Though a converted No 4 will probably be more accurate due to the lack of the lightning cuts.

My No.5 shoots as well as my FTR  No.4- at least out to 100 yards- I've never shot it beyond that.

Whether or not the lightning cuts have negative effect on accuracy has been questioned from the day the findings were developed- when some suggest that the conclusions were reached for politically expedient purposes.
Even if there was factual basis to them, I wouldn't be too concerned except under sustained fire- when any light profile barrel would start to open up.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:35:43 AM EDT
[#8]
The No5 wandering zero is greatly exaggerated.

I would consider $600 top price for a pristine No5, really pristine.  I see some in the $400 area that look pretty good.

I bought this one when they were still cheap.

I picked up the No5 on the right for $100 last year, the end of the flash hider was cut off, easy to replace, hard to find a genuine replacement.
It had a Santa Fe 5 round mag that's worth more than half what I paid.  These five round hunting mags came out of Japan in the 60's and are the only aftermarket mag that actually works well in the LE.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:11:59 PM EDT
[#9]
$700.00 seems much too high.

I picked this one up off Gunbroker for $350.00 about a month ago. The pictures do not do it justice. It looks and handles like a dream. No import marks.

I had never handled or fired a No. 5 prior to picking this one up, and I regard them now as very underrated firearms. Lightweight, compact, great sights, reasonably accurate, 10-round capacity, etc.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top