Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2012 4:02:05 PM EDT
Seems he bought a 91/30 with a bent bolt face! I know numrich has just the bolt face and wondered if it is a simple swap or is headspace an issue. If the cartridge is rimmed should it not headspace itself?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:36:59 PM EDT
[#1]
yes, yes, no

advntrjnky
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:50:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
yes, yes, no

advntrjnky

Ok yes it an ez swap. But the bolt face is the one part of the bolt that will change the head space.
On a mosin.

That being said, rimmed cartridges do not headspace themselves. Now it is a bit easier to measure
imo. But you will definitely need to have the headspace measured by a gunsmith before firimg

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:54:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok thats what I was worried about . How is the headspace adjusted from the rear of the bolt or will this cost more than the mosin
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:04:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ok thats what I was worried about . How is the headspace adjusted from the rear of the bolt or will this cost more than the mosin

I have found that Mosins typically have pretty much interchangable bolt heads.  I own a field guage, and I was messing around with a few of my Mosins bolt and none of the several commbinations I tried headspaced incorrectly.  I'd just buy a coin type field headspace guage and order a bolt head w/ extractor from online.  The guage is inexpensive and chances are that the bolt head you order will work just fine.

ETA: the critical dimensions that determines heaspace on a Mosin is the distance from the rear of the locking lugs on the bolt head to the front of the bolt face, and the distance from the bolt face to the lip of the chamber when the bolt head is locked into place.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:13:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Personally, I wouldn't really worry about the headspace. I've swapped bolts between my Mosins and I've never encountered any issues. YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:42:48 PM EDT
[#6]
if the firing pin will set off the primer generally your headspace won't be an issue unless you reload....then you'll get a minimum of shortened case life and at most case head separations on the first reload.  if you only shoot factory or milsurp ammo you probably won't even realize excessive headspace.  if you reload it is very easy to compensate for excessive headspace by fitting your brass to the chamber and fire forming (should only be done with virgin brass).  Like mentioned earlier I haven't had a mosin fail headspace by switching bolt heads.  that was on 8 different mosin.  some were soviet replacement bolt heads on hungarian rifles.....goes to show the level of interchangeability in the mosin platform.

advntrjnky
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top