Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2011 3:15:05 AM EDT
Was in a pawn shop today and they had a sporterized 98 (didn't see any markings). Wouldn't have given it a second glance, but the obviously old scope on it had the "Carl Zeiss Jena" logo, the name "Zielvier" and a serial number. Price for the whole rig was listed at $399 but I'm sure I could talk them down some. Worth it or no?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 5:12:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Need pics to determine lengths of bubbafuzation to make that call.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 5:19:51 AM EDT
[#2]
American type stock or European?

Does it look anything like this?

Link Posted: 12/31/2011 5:37:13 AM EDT
[#3]
sure it was a military gun that buba had got his mitts on?

Mauser made comercial guns also, I have seen a couple that were very nice.

Zeiss was/is a highly regaurded optics company makeing survey instruments , cameras , binouculars and rifle scopes . I know their good stuff was very good but I don't know if they made
lower quality stuff for the discount market

Was the rifle marked as far as caliber and manufactuer?
Anything as far as numbers on the scope indicateing power or model?

As I guess you know hacked up mil-surps are a dime a dozen and pawn shops can be very weird when it comes to priceing but the scope could be a wild card
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 12:59:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Could be a lot of things; Bubba, commercial, "cigarette gun", etc. Chances are, however, that the scope alone is worth a majority of what they're asking for the entire setup.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 5:49:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Could be a lot of things; Bubba, commercial, "cigarette gun", etc. Chances are, however, that the scope alone is worth a majority of what they're asking for the entire setup.

Exactly, Id buy it just for the scope if that's the case at that price.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 6:24:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w260/lugerman_album/Mannlicher/m7.jpg

Hey PO8, what do you have there/ That`s a mighty fine looking rifle.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:25:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Went back yesterday to look some more and maybe get it, but it was gone. I snoozed and lost.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:30:05 AM EDT
[#8]
nothing at all wrong with a "sporterized" mauser, as long as it's done well

I'm going to be re-stocking and rebarrelling an Argy mauser in the near future.  When I'm done it won't look a bit like it was the day it was issued.  Guess that makes me a bubba....
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:38:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w260/lugerman_album/Mannlicher/m7.jpg

I have a 7X57 that looks like that one. I see an 8mm with a Mannlicher stock and that scope combo, I'm leaving with it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:08:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Just curious where was it at ?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top