Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2011 5:58:52 PM EDT
I have a small collection of 91/30's and M39's that I would like to zero. Haven t shot them in several years, but the M39 I got "close", but from what I recall it was still several inches high at 100 yards.

Do pretty much all the mosins shoot high @ 100.

I suspect its a game of - shoot it and find out.

So I started doing some searching online and found this

MN rifles that were battle-zeroed at 300 meters (about 328 yards) took into account the sizeable bullet drop from muzzle to target at that distance. At 100 yards, though, the bullet is still rising from the muzzle, impacting high by an inch or two. Add that 2 inch rise to the 8 to 12 inches of drop already built into the 300-yard zero, and the MN hits not just high at 100 yards, but embarrassingly high. Like a foot or more high

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 6:03:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, most shoot high unless you add a little solder or other material to the front sight post.  A 300m zero is a very effective battle zero for a long rifle, as anywhere from point blank to 300 you can aim center of mass and have a lethal hit.  Obviously that makes target shooting at 100 a bit more difficult unless you are ok with good groups that are just a little high.

Keep in mind that a 100yd zero usually isn't a really good zero as it would mean the bullet is on the way down, making shots out past 150yds very low.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 4:49:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Most do as that was standard Russian training.  Aim for the inverted "V" made by a person's legs and the bullet would hit center of mass.  It drives us ns oday, buttat was the way they were made.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 7:25:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I always heard on the front that Russian soldiers were told to aim at the belt buckles of their enemies with the MN.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 11:17:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Why would the Rooskies zero their rifles so that it shoots so low at 100?  The more or less makes the rear sight useless.  If your high at 100, then your going to be high at 200, 300 etc.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 6:50:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Why would the Rooskies zero their rifles so that it shoots so low at 100?  The more or less makes the rear sight useless.  If your high at 100, then your going to be high at 200, 300 etc.

The rifle does not shoot low, but high.  It is easier for a person with bad eyesight to use.  Shoot for the crotch and hit the torso.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:08:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, it shoots high, but that doesnt help the fact that adjusting the rear sight leaf is pointless if its that far off at 100.

Check this out - Mosin front sight fix - replacing front sight
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:29:49 PM EDT
[#7]
In my experience it's different on each rifle, I've got three hex receiver rifles and one round receiver.  Two of the hex rifles strike about 2.5 to 3.5 inches high at 100 with the sight leaf set at 100, the other hex needs the sight leaf set at 200 just to hit point of aim at 100, and the round receiver's sight leaf had to be set at 450 to make point of aim at 100 yds.  I could just grind down the front sight post on the two rifles until they are hitting @ POA.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 12:26:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In my experience it's different on each rifle, I've got three hex receiver rifles and one round receiver.  Two of the hex rifles strike about 2.5 to 3.5 inches high at 100 with the sight leaf set at 100, the other hex needs the sight leaf set at 200 just to hit point of aim at 100, and the round receiver's sight leaf had to be set at 450 to make point of aim at 100 yds.  I could just grind down the front sight post on the two rifles until they are hitting @ POA.

I've got a few that couldn't hit a bedsheet at 100 yds. I switched front posts out and everything was good.  

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 3:03:51 PM EDT
[#9]
LOL cosmo05, thats funny.  By chance, did you get one of the variations I see on ebay?  Looks like there are several to choose from.  I would kinda like to get something for my Finn M39 as well, so as to make the rifle dead on at 100.
Did the Russians and Finns just never bother to adjust sights?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top